Instead of cutting to the constitutional amendment chase, National Assembly deputies yesterday bought more time by adopting a non-binding resolution to postpone the May 6 National Assembly re-election.
Central Election Commission (CEC) officials said the election will be held in accordance with the Constitution and election laws, but added that they would call a meeting to discuss how to handle the situation.
The resolution was put forward jointly by the KMT and DPP caucuses, and was passed by a vote of 115 to 29. Deputies from the minority New Party and People First Party were opposed to the move.
Under the resolution, the Assembly is appealing to the Executive Yuan to request the CEC to delay the election until the session is over.
"There will be an answer by May 19 as to whether our efforts at reform have been successful or not," said Liu I-teh (
The May 6 election was set following a March 24 ruling by the Council of Grand Justices which invalidated two constitutional amendments adopted by the Assembly in September 1999 that involved a controversial extension of the deputies' terms.
The constitutional amendment session launched yesterday was a response by KMT and DPP caucuses to the Council of Grand Justices' ruling.
The goal is to marginalize the government body before its term expires on May 19.
Under the reform, the Assembly would become a non-standing body starting May 20, 2000 that would not convene regularly and and would not involve re-election of deputies.
Caught in a bind with little time before May 6 -- and the end of this session set for April 25 -- deputies are trying to buy more time.
"We just need some more time to get things done," explained Tsai Cheng-yuan (
DPP deputy Chiu I-pin (
"The Grand Justices are to blame for the constitutional chaos," Chiu said. "The fact that they have issued this ruling shows that they don't even have any common sense."
Chiu contends that the Council dragged its feet unnecessarily as an interpretation was requested in September 1999, but a ruling didn't come until March 2000.
One KMT deputy, Hsieh Ming-hui (
The New Party and People First Party caucuses, meanwhile, were against postponing the election.
"Postponing the election will mean extending the term," said New Party deputy Tang A-ken (
"Since the election has already been set, what's the point of trying to amend the Constitution in such a rush?" Wu asked.
A signaling system malfunction disrupted high-speed rail (HSR) services beginning at 8am today, with trains temporarily reduced to three northbound and three southbound trains per hour as authorities conduct inspections. The malfunction occurred on a section of track in Miaoli County during pre-operation checks early this morning, forcing northbound and southbound trains to use a single track, the HSR operator said. The regular schedule has been replaced with three hourly trains offering only nonreserved seating in each direction, stopping at every station, it said, adding that business class cars would still have reserved seating. Departures from terminal stations are scheduled at the top
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
VERBOSE VESSELS: A CGA cutter and a China Coast Guard exchanged verbal barbs for more than a day in Taiwanese-controlled waters before the Chinese vessel left The Taiwanese and Chinese coast guards had a standoff near the strategically located Pratas Islands (Dongsha Islands, 東沙群島) in the north of the South China Sea, the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) said yesterday. The two sides engaged in intense radio exchanges over sovereignty claims during the 33-hour standoff. China Coast Guard vessel 3501 eventually left the restricted waters, 26.6 nautical miles (49.2km) west of the Pratas Islands, at 5pm yesterday, the CGA said. Lying approximately between southern Taiwan and Hong Kong, the Taiwan-controlled Pratas are seen by some security experts as vulnerable to Chinese attack due to their distance — more than
WARNING: China should stop engaging in actions that undermine regional peace and stability, as it would only build resentment among people across the Strait, the CGA said China has deployed more than 100 navy, coast guard and other vessels in waters from the Yellow Sea to the South China Sea and the western Pacific since US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) met in Beijing, National Security Council Secretary-General Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) said yesterday. “In this part of the world, #China is the one & only PROBLEM wrecking the #StatusQuo & threatening regional peace & stability,” Wu wrote on X. In a separate post, he said Beijing was coercing Taiwan’s maritime domain, calling it illegal and provocative, after the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) expelled a