Communicating Doors (開錯門中門), by the English playwright Alan Ayckbourn has been part of the Godot Theater's repertoire since 1996 and has long been popular for its screwball humor and opportunities for improvization. Adapted for a local cast, and staring many well-known figures from the entertainment industry, Communicating Doors follows on from Godot Theater's Irma La Douce, which the troupe has recently completed a island-wide tour.
- Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall, 505, Renai Rd, Sec 4, Taipei (台北市仁愛路四段505號)
- Tickets are NT$400 to NT$2,000
- Aug. 10, Aug. 11 at 7:30pm, Aug. 12 at 2:30pm
Traces (痕跡) a new production by internationally acclaimed Canadian group Les 7 doigts de la main presents its combination of physical theater, drama and circus.
- Metropolitan Hall (台北城市舞台), 25 Bade Rd Sec 3, Taipei (台北市八德路三段25號)
- Tickets are NT$400 to NT$2,000
- Aug. 9 to Aug. 11 at 7:30pm and Aug. 12 at 2:30pm
Marvelous Journey (兒童的奇異之旅) by the Rondo Ballet Theater (羅德芭蕾舞蹈團) has created ballet for children, with delightful characters and beautiful sets, so that even the little ones can appreciate the delights of dance.
- Monday 7:30pm at the Tainan Cultural Bureau Performance Hall (台南縣政府文化局音樂廳) and Thursday at the Pingtung Cultural Bureau Performance Hall (屏東縣政府文化局藝術館)
- Tickets are NT$200 for both performances
Prince Ice World (王子冰上世界), a display of figure skating by champion athlete Shizuka Arakawa (荒川靜香).
- Today to Sunday at 3pm and 7pm
- Taipei Arena (台北巨蛋) ice skating rink, 2 Nanjing East Rd Sec 4, Taipei (台北市南京東路四段2號)
- Tickets are NT$1,000 to NT$4,000, available through ERA Ticket
2007 IDSF Taipei International Open (2007世界運動舞蹈台灣公開賽) will present dazzlingly athletic dance and fierce competition among an international field of competitors drawn from Portugal, Finland, Italy, Japan and South Korea.
- Sunday at 9am
- Taipei Athletics Stadium (台北市立體育館), 10 Nanjing E Rd, Taipei (臺北市南京東路四段10號)
- Tickets are NT$500 to NT$3,000, available through ERA Ticket
Every Thursday for the next few months, On Tap will be showing both classic and contemporary British and Irish Comedy on the big screen upstairs. The shows will include The Office, Extras, Peep Show, Phoenix Nights, Father Ted and Fawlty Towers. Wednesdays it's Underdog, when happy hour lasts until 11pm and Shorty and Geezer Foo spin funk, acid jazz and house from 10pm until 4am. (See Vinyl Word on Page 15 for more information).
- 5pm to 4am Sunday and Tuesday through Thursday, and 5pm to 6am Friday and Saturday. Kitchen closes at 1am
- Address: 49, Ln 308, Guangfu S Rd, Taipei (台北市光復南路308巷49號) Call (02)2741-5365
- 5pm to 4am Sunday and Tuesday through Thursday, and 5pm to 6am Friday and Saturday
- 49, Ln 308, Guangfu S Rd, Taipei (台北市光復南路308巷49號), Call (02) 2741-5365
A Night of Piano Trio 2007 (2007三重奏之夜). Organized by violinist Chang Ya-ching (張雅晴), the concert will be performed by Chang, cellist Ouyang Ling-yi (歐陽伶宜), and pianist Yu Ru-huei (游如慧). The program will include Chopin's Trio for violin, cello, and piano, Op.8 and Dvorak's Trio for violin, cello, and piano "Dumky," Op.90.
- At the Chih-Shan Hall, Kaohsiung Cultural Center (高雄文化中心至善廳), 67 Wufu 1st Rd, Kaohsiung City (高雄市五福一路67號)
- All tickets cost NT$100 and are available through ERA ticketing
- Tonight at 7:30pm
Tone Shine Festival 2007 – Night of Solos and Chamber Music and Night of Symphonies (同想樂樂節 – 獨奏與室內樂之夜與交響之夜). Two different lecture-concerts for the whole family will be held in Taipei tonight and Sunday. For the Night of Solos and Chamber Music tonight, the program will include Sarasate's brilliant fantasy Zigeunerweisen, Schubert's String Quintet in C Major, D. 956, Beethoven's Piano Trio No.5 in D Major, Op.70/1, and others. For the Night of Symphonies on Sunday, the program will include Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik Serenade in G Major, K525 and Beethoven's Symphony No.7 in A Major, Op.92 .