Mobile-phone sales in China, the world's biggest wireless market by users, dropped almost a 10th in April because the SARS outbreak sapped demand, a government report released yesterday showed. Motorola Inc lost its leading position to rival Nokia Oyj.
Nokia, Ningbo Bird Co (
The April numbers are the first to reflect the full impact of SARS on China's cell-phone market, which is already suffering because of rising inventory and falling prices.
Motorola, which blamed SARS last week for its decision to cut its full-year profit forecast, sold 24 percent fewer global system for mobile communications, or GSM, phones in April than in March. The US company, the world's second-biggest mobile-phone maker, estimated vendors have 20 million unsold phones in China, almost a third of the country's annual sales.
"The fall in sales because of SARS shouldn't be too big a surprise for the market," said Lily Jap, an analyst at Nomura International (Hong Kong) Ltd. "The key question is how much sellers will allow price cuts to drive sales, especially of phones equipped with colored screens, in the second half."
Sales of GSM-based phones, China's dominant cellular standard, dropped 7.7 percent in April to 6.28 million units, according to the CCID report. By value, they dropped 13 percent to 9.63 billion yuan (US$1.2 billion). That implies the average price of a GSM phone, used by more than 95 percent of China's cell users, dropped 5.8 percent to 1,534 yuan.
TCL Mobile Communication Co, China's No. 2 domestic cell-phone maker, and Konka Group Co are among makers that dropped prices in April. Konka slashed prices of its C869 handset by 37 percent to 1,890 yuan.
Finland-based Nokia, the world's biggest handset maker, increased its share of China's GSM market to 15.3 percent in April from 13.4 percent in the previous month. Schaumburg, Illinois-based Motorola's fell to 14.1 percent from 17.2 percent, the CCID report said.
NEW MARKET: The partnership opens up India to the Dutch company, which already has a strong hold in the semiconductor market of South Korea, Taiwan and China ASML Holding NV entered into a partnership agreement with Tata Electronics Pvt Ltd aimed at ramping up India’s goal to develop domestic chip-manufacturing capabilities. The Dutch company’s technology would help power Tata Electronics’ planned 300 millimeter (mm) semiconductor foundry in Gujarat, according to a joint statement from the two companies on Saturday. The signing of a memorandum of understanding coincides with a visit by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to the Netherlands, which is looking to deepen bilateral relations with New Delhi. ASML, whose top customers include Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (台積電) and Samsung Electronics Co, makes lithography machines that can print
ROUGH RECORDS: Bonds in Japan, as well is in New Zealand, Australia and the US, are seeing the effects of a nervy market as stock exchanges across Asia edge down A deepening slump in Japanese government bonds added fuel to the selloff in global debt markets as rising oil prices stoked inflation fears and pushed yields to multi-decade highs. Japan’s 30-year yield yesterday surged as much as 20 basis points to the highest level since the tenor’s debut in 1999, before paring some of the move. Shorter-maturity Japanese debt was also under pressure, underscored by weak demand at a sale of five-year notes that offered a record-high coupon of 2 percent. Concerns over inflation and government spending rippling through markets including the US, Australia and New Zealand are being amplified in Japan,
The US has cleared about 10 Chinese firms to buy Nvidia Corp’s second-most powerful artificial intelligence (AI) chip, the H200, but not a single delivery has been made so far, three people familiar with the matter said, leaving a major technology deal in limbo as chief executive officer Jensen Huang (黃仁勳) seeks a breakthrough in China this week. Huang, who was not initially listed in a White House delegation to Beijing, joined the trip after an invitation from US President Donald Trump, a source said. Trump picked him up in Alaska en route to a summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping
Wall Street is licking its chops over an unprecedented slate of massive initial public offerings (IPOs) set to arrive in the coming months, beginning with Elon Musk’s Space Exploration Technologies Corp (SpaceX) next month. That is expected to be followed by artificial intelligence (AI) rivals OpenAI and Anthropic PBC. The trio of mega listings, each eyeing valuations around US$1 trillion or more, constitutes a heady period of elevated risk and reward. SpaceX is targeting an IPO that would raise up to US$80 billion — about double the funds generated from all IPOs last year. OpenAI and Anthropic are eyeing IPOs raising US$60 billion. “We’re