Negotiating with China is “worse than the IMF,” Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa said on Saturday after rejecting China’s conditions for a US$1.7 billion loan to build a hydroelectric plant.
In his weekly report on government activities, Correa said some of the conditions China’s Eximbank required for the loan were “really a threat against our sovereignty.”
“All of a sudden, negotiating with China is worse than the IMF,” he said.
The leftist leader’s comments came after both countries signed US$4.7 billion in cooperation agreements last month during a visit to the country by Jia Qinglin (賈慶林), chairman of the National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference.
The loan Correa railed about concerned an agreement with China’s Sinohydro company to build a US$1.97 billion hydroelectric plant in Ecuador, for which he is seeking 85 percent financing from Eximbank.
Correa had already complained on Tuesday about Eximbank’s demand that Ecuador’s central bank “put its assets up as collateral” for the loan, which he deemed “outrageous.”
If Eximbank did not change its loan conditions, he warned that Ecuador would rethink its China policy.
On Thursday, Finance Minister Elsa Viteri said negotiations on the hydroelectric plant were continuing and that she had forwarded Eximbank the loan conditions Ecuador was willing to accept for the loan.
Correa earlier this year complained about the stringent conditions the IMF imposed in exchange for loans, and called for a regional Latin American monetary system in order to “become the owners of our own destinies.”
The cooperation agreements signed last week included a US$1.4 million donation and two lines of credit: one for US$2.9 million payable within 10 years and another for US$438 million to buy four Chinese military planes for Ecuador’s air force.
The two countries also signed a joint oil exploration venture in Ecuador’s eastern Pastaza province.
Beijing’s direct investment in Ecuador has reached US$2.2 billion, making it one of the top targets of Chinese investment in Latin America, Jia told reporters at the close of his visit.
Trade between the two countries reached US$2.4 billion last year, a 50 percent increase from the previous year, he said.
In related news, oil companies operating in Ecuador have until March to sign new contracts or the government will “change the rules of the game” to give the state more control over the sector, Correa said on Saturday.
The socialist leader was first elected in 2006 on promises of helping the poor and taking a tough stance with international investors who he accuses of pillaging the country’s wealth.
Correa’s rhetoric has toughened as the negotiation of contracts approaches. But he apparently does not want to go so far as to choke off the private investment that his OPEC-member country needs to bolster its key oil sector.
“Either they sign the new contracts by March or we are going to change the rules of the game and the relationship between the companies and the state,” Correa said during a televised town hall meeting.
“I will meet with the companies and we are going to speak plainly. They will invest or leave the country,” he said.
Private firms — such as Spain’s Repsol, Brazil’s Petrobras and Italy’s Eni — are expected by the government to produce 195,342 barrels of oil per day next year, down from 201,369 barrels per day this year.
Correa wants them to give up their profit-sharing deals and sign new contracts that would make them service providers.
His relationship with the private sector hit a low point last year when Correa refused to honor US$3.2 billion in global bonds, even though the government had the money to pay. Investment has also been slowed by the world financial crisis.
The president sides with indigenous groups that have brought a US$27 billion environmental damages lawsuit against US petroleum company Chevron Corp, which no longer has operations in the Andean country.
‘A DISASTER’: A successful Chinese attack on Taiwan would undermine the credibility of US security guarantees and could result in a global depression, three experts wrote A Chinese takeover of Taiwan would be a geopolitical catastrophe for the US and its allies, one that would overshadow almost all others over the next decade, US policy experts said. Andrew Erickson, a professor of strategy in the US Naval War College’s China Maritime Studies Institute; Gabriel Collins, a fellow at Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public Policy; and former US deputy national security adviser Matthew Pottinger issued the warning in an article published on Tuesday in Foreign Affairs. Bejing’s invasion or annexation of Taiwan “would be a disaster of utmost importance to the United States, and I am convinced that
Taiwanese businesspeople’s investments in China last year hit a record low of 11.4 percent of total foreign investment, the Mainland Affairs Council said yesterday. The number was a huge decline from 83.8 percent in 2010, mainly because Taiwanese businesspeople have been diversifying their investments globally over the past few years, with great success, the council said. From 1991 to last year, 45,523 Taiwanese investments in China totaling US$206.37 billion had been approved, accounting for 50.7 percent of overall foreign investment, data from the Ministry of Economic Affairs’ Investment Commission showed. The amount and proportion of Taiwanese investments in China has been declining, with
Taiwanese tourists on board a Kinmen cruise ship had a scare yesterday when it was intercepted by Chinese coast guards who forcefully boarded the vessel to inspect it. The Sunrise, a tourism ferry that operates between Kinmen and Xiamen, China, was sailing around the waters around the islets of Dadan (大膽) and Erdan (二膽) — both of which are part of Kinmen County — yesterday afternoon when it encountered personnel from China’s Fujian Coast Guard Bureau. China Coast Guard personnel forced their way on board and conducted an inspection for about 30 minutes before leaving, local media cited the tourists as saying. The
SEEKING CALM: The US called for maintaining the ‘status quo,’ while the Ministry of National Defense said it would not bolster defenses in the area to avoid raising tensions Taiwanese should have greater faith in the government’s investigation into the capsizing of a Chinese vessel that resulted in the death of two Chinese fishers last week, the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) said yesterday, adding that Taiwan abides by the rule of law. On Wednesday last week, a Chinese speedboat was spotted trespassing in “prohibited” waters within 1.1 nautical miles (2km) of the east coast of Kinmen. It fled after refusing the coast guard’s request to board the vessel, setting off a chase that led to the boat capsizing, with two Chinese fishers dying. Two survivors were deported back to China