The world’s largest steel maker, ArcelorMittal SA, said yesterday the steel business was starting to recover, even as it posted a loss of US$792,000 for the second quarter, its third consecutive quarterly loss.
CEO Lakshmi Mittal said the company would restart production at some plants to meet “some initial signs” that the steel slump is ending. He warned that full recovery would be slow and progressive.
ArcelorMittal blamed the net loss on US$1.2 billion in charges from writing down steel stocks and paying off workers who took up the company’s voluntary redundancy program. The company made a profit of US$5.8 billion last year.
Revenues more than halved for the three months ending June 30 to US$15.2 billion, down from US$37.8 billion a year ago.
The third quarter should be better, the company said, as shipments rise and costs for key raw materials — iron ore and coal — fall from record highs.
It said the global recession had triggered an “extreme weakness” in steel demand along with a steep fall in prices.
Its main customers — car makers, construction and engineering companies — have slashed output on falling demand from customers facing the sharpest downturn since World War II.
ArcelorMittal plunged into loss for the first time in the last three months of last year as the steel industry slipped rapidly from boom to bust.
The company shuttered plants this winter and spring as steel stocks remained high, laying off thousands of workers temporarily.
Fearing that these closures could become permanent, Belgian and French workers attacked company headquarters during a shareholder meeting in May.
The company is also trying to aggressively reduce a high debt burden that it built up during a rapid expansion program to meet surging demand in recent years. It paid off US$3.8 billion in net debt in the second quarter and had total debt of US$22.9 billion on June 30, it said.
It said its bankers had agreed to let it change a leverage ratio to give more flexibility if the economy worsens.
The company also reported cost savings of US$1.7 billion in the quarter, close to its target of US$2 billion for the year.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats