Bondholders of General Motors Corp warned the US government on Sunday that the struggling automaker will likely be forced to file for bankruptcy if the debt restructuring proposal they have suggested — or one like it — is not accepted.
In a letter to the US Treasury and members of US President Obama’s auto task force, financial advisers to GM’s bondholders said the current debt swap plan on the table won’t draw enough support from lenders.
“The result of such a failed exchange would likely be a bankruptcy that would have dire consequences for the company, the tens of thousands of hardworking Americans that GM employs and the economy as a whole,” the advisers from investment firm Houlihan Lokey wrote.
GM is required to reduce its US$28 billion in unsecured debt by two-thirds under terms set by the George W. Bush administration in December on the company’s US$13.4 billion bailout loan. The Detroit automaker is nearing a deadline next Tuesday to get concessions from both union workers and debt holders as it races to complete restructuring plans required under the terms of its government loans.
GM has offered bondholders some equity in exchange for the debt.
But bondholders have been reluctant to accept concessions that would leave them with only a small portion of the face value of their bonds.
“GM bondholders are not a collection of ‘Wall Street banks,’” the advisers wrote. “Many of these bonds are owned by average citizens, who purchased them to support their own retirement and college expenses and other critical needs.”
However, the group runs the risk of losing everything in a bankruptcy proceeding and has discussed whether the government would guarantee new bonds that GM would issue as part of its restructuring.
The group’s advisers said they believe the framework bondholders presented to the task force on March 5 would receive a high level of support from investors necessary to restructure GM out of court.
Further details of that proposal weren’t disclosed.
In Sunday’s letter to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and the task force, the advisers the five-year restructuring plan presented by company on Feb. 17 moves GM in the right direction. However, the plan puts too much faith in the economy turning around quickly and annual car and truck sales ratcheting up to previous levels, the letter said.
“GM bondholders have been asked to make deeper cuts than other stakeholders: namely, to reduce two-thirds of our instruments’ principal and trade it for speculative securities that may, if the currently planned cost reductions and sales projections prove inaccurate, end up having little or no value,” they said. “All other parties involved in the restructuring process will walk away with far more.”
The advisers said bondholders are “disappointed” that neither GM nor the auto task force has responded to their proposal.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary