US software giant Microsoft announced the most sweeping job cuts in its history on Thursday as a worsening economy and weak spending on technology sent quarterly profit sharply lower.
Releasing its results for the second quarter of its fiscal year, Microsoft said it was cutting up to 5,000 jobs, or 5.5 percent of its workforce, over the next 18 months.
The Redmond, Washington-based company said net profit fell by 11 percent in the quarter from a year ago to US$4.17 billion on a revenue of US$16.63 billion, a 2 percent rise from a year ago.
It said earnings per share were US$0.47 for the quarter that ended on Dec. 31, less than the US$0.49 per share forecast by analysts.
“While we are not immune to the effects of the economy, I am confident in the strength of our product portfolio and soundness of our approach,” Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer said in a statement. “We will continue to manage expenses and invest in long-term opportunities to deliver value to customers and shareholders, and we will emerge an even stronger industry leader than we are today.”
Ballmer’s reassuring words failed to prevent Microsoft’s shares from plunging on Wall Street, where they lost 11.71 percent to close at US$17.11.
“In light of the further deterioration of global economic conditions,” Microsoft said it was eliminating “up to 5,000 jobs in R&D [research and development], marketing, sales, finance, legal, HR [human resources], and IT [information technology] over the next 18 months, including 1,400 jobs today.”
Microsoft employs some 91,000 people and rumors of job cuts at the world’s biggest software firm had been circulating for weeks.
The company said the move was among various steps designed to manage costs, “including the reduction of headcount-related expenses, vendors and contingent staff, facilities, capital expenditures and marketing.”
“These initiatives will reduce the company’s annual operating expense run rate by approximately US$1.5 billion and reduce fiscal year 2009 capital expenditures by US$700 million,” Microsoft said.
In a conference call with reporters and analysts, Ballmer said he did not expect a “quick rebound” for the economy.
“The economy shrinks and then it grows from a lower base. So no, I’m not expecting a bounce,” he said.
The company founded by Bill Gates declined to release an outlook for the remainder of the fiscal year, citing the “volatility of market conditions going forward.”
“Economic activity and IT spend slowed beyond our expectations in the quarter, and we acted quickly to reduce our cost structure and mitigate its impact,” Microsoft chief financial officer Chris Liddell said. “We are planning for economic uncertainty to continue through the remainder of the fiscal year, almost certainly leading to lower revenue and earnings for the second half relative to the previous year.”
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary