Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer yesterday unveiled a plan to invest US$60 million in South Korea’s software industry as part of the US giant’s drive to strengthen its presence in the country.
The plan was disclosed at talks between Ballmer and South Korean President Lee Myung-bak, the president’s office said.
The Ministry of Knowledge Economy said Microsoft agreed to train software designers, support venture firms and establish a technology center in South Korea over three years.
Also yesterday, Ballmer said that growth through investment is the key for companies struggling to ride out an economic slowdown.
“The best solution for tough business times is growth, not contraction,” Ballmer told South Korean businessmen, adding that “now is not the time to forget that lesson.”
He said the US software company would not cut back on investment despite an expected slowdown in the global economy.
“We may grow our investment slightly less, but we’re not cutting our investment,” he said at a breakfast meeting in Seoul, Yonhap news agency said.
For years, Microsoft has been trying to expand its software dominance beyond offices and homes.
Last month it unveiled its new Windows software, Windows Azure, which can store and run user programs and data on a remote server on the Internet. The move came as the firm tries to compete with similar services from search engine Google.
“Some people will say is this in Microsoft’s best interest, I’ll say its inevitable, so it had better be in our best interest. That’s why you see us embracing this future, not resisting this future,” Ballmer said.
He said Microsoft is also focused on investing “broadly” in various fields, underscoring that what a company learns in one business can be applied to another.
Yesterday, Microsoft and South Korea’s Hyundai auto group opened a research center to develop new IT products and services for automotive application.
The firms “share a similar vision for the role that information technology will play in connecting people to information, communications and entertainment while they are in their cars,” Ballmer said in a statement.
Hyundai said the technologies developed at the center would be applied in its cars from the second half of 2010.
In May, the two forged a deal to develop a new in-vehicle music and entertainment system, which will be voice-controlled and linked to other hand-held devices.
The Hyundai group, which includes affiliate Kia Motors, controls 70 percent of the South Korea’s auto market and accounts for 5.4 percent of the nation’s GDP.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats