OPEC, the oil producers' group that pumps about 40 percent of the world's crude, risks oversupplying the market if it decides to hike output at a policy meeting this week, analysts said.
But leaving output quotas unchanged could send oil prices to fresh record highs and even above the psychological US$100-a-barrel mark for the first time, they said.
Member nations of OPEC will hold an official output meeting in Abu Dhabi on Wednesday, with uncertainty surrounding the outcome of their decision.
"With the economic problems hanging over the global economy now, OPEC is probably thinking that [oil] demand is more likely to go down than up in terms of current forecasts and they'll probably want to keep things steady" regarding output, said Simon Wardell, an oil expert for Global Insight, an independent analyst group.
Veronica Smart, an analyst at the Energy Information Centre consultancy, said that while OPEC would find it hard to justify doing nothing with production quotas should prices remain around US$90-a-barrel by the time of its meeting, the cartel was likely to keep output on hold.
"If OPEC did decide to increase production levels it probably wouldn't come into effect until January 1 or perhaps February 1 and it might be seen as a little bit too little too late," she said.
Such a decision would place extra oil onto the market towards the end of the northern hemisphere winter, when demand for heating fuel drops, and ahead of the second quarter when OPEC does not like to see a large build-up of inventories, Smart said.
"If OPEC decided to do nothing ... they probably would be some bullish [price] impact on the market," the analyst said. "You can argue that [no change to output] could be used to have a bull run to [US$]100."
World oil prices slumped last week on increasing speculation that OPEC may decide to hike crude output on Wednesday.
OPEC last decided to raise production in September when it agreed to provide an extra 500,000 barrels of crude a day to the market, which took effect on Nov. 1.
Although some OPEC ministers have expressed concern that expensive crude could also dampen demand for oil, they reject blame for the nearly triple-digit prices.
Instead the cartel argues they are the result of speculators being drawn to the market on geopolitical tensions, such as between crude-producer Iran and the US.
"There is a huge element of speculation in the market," Smart said. "However, the speculation is largely around supplies and if OPEC were producing perhaps slightly more, that would take some of the fear premium out of the market."
Saudi Oil Minister Ali Al-Nuaimi last Wednesday insisted the world oil market was well supplied and that high prices did not properly reflect the supply-demand situation.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats