US private equity group Lone Star Funds took aim yesterday at South Korean prosecutors, accusing them of "baseless accusations" in their attempt to arrest company officials.
The Dallas, Texas-based fund was reacting to an announcement by prosecutors on Tuesday that they were seeking the arrest of the head of Lone Star's local unit for alleged stock price manipulation, as well as two other current and one former executive.
"We will vigorously defend our company and our officers from these baseless accusations," Lone Star Chairman John Grayken said in a statement released in the US.
Prosecutors said on Tuesday that they were seeking to detain four people including Paul Yoo, head of Lone Star's South Korean unit Lone Star Advisors Korea, as well as Steven Lee, its former head who is no longer with the fund.
The Supreme Prosecutors Office didn't identify the other executives, but the Lone Star statement said they were Lone Star Funds Vice Chairman Ellis Short and Michael Thompson, its general counsel.
Of them, only Yoo is in South Korea.
"I have to conclude that this is further evidence of a politically motivated investigation driven by anti-foreign investor sentiment that persists in certain segments of Korean society," Grayken said.
Lone Star has been probed by prosecutors since March over allegations the fund acted with the former management of Korea Exchange Bank and government officials to misrepresent the bank's financial health to cut Lone Star's purchase price for the lender.
In addition, prosecutors have also launched an investigation into allegations that KEB and Lone Star were involved in manipulating the stock price of KEB's credit card unit in 2003 ahead of the bank's merger with it.
Lone Star has consistently denied any wrongdoing.
The fund's 2003 acquisition of Korea Exchange Bank has fueled negative views among South Koreans of foreign investment funds.
Some lawmakers and media have accused them of being so-called "vulture capital" out to make a quick profit by purchasing troubled companies and banks at a discount and then selling the investments for large profits.
In May, Lone Star signed an agreement to sell all of its 70.9 percent stake in KEB to Kookmin Bank, South Korea's top lender, but the investigations have prevented the deal, valued at more than US$7 billion, from being closed.
When Kookmin Bank signed the deal, which had a Sept. 16 expiration date, it stipulated that it would only go through with the transaction when the prosecutors' probe proved no criminality on the part of Lone Star.
Although the pact has technically expired, it remains valid until either Kookmin Bank or Lone Star declares it terminated.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary