Morgan Stanley's former chairman and former president reiterated a call for the ouster of current CEO Philip Purcell, stating that a management shakeup announced earlier in the day was not in the best interests of the company.
Purcell said he was replacing company president Stephan Newhouse with two co-presidents, Morgan Stanley veterans Stephen Crawford and Zoe Cruz. The move, according to a Morgan Stanley statement, would provide new oversight of the company's institutional securities and investment management operations.
However, a group of former executives and major shareholders, led by former chairman Parker Gilbert and former president Robert Scott, said on Tuesday that the restructuring could result in the loss of other executives.
The group also released a letter, dated March 3, sent to the current Morgan Stanley board calling for Purcell's departure. The group blamed Purcell for the company's lagging stock price and financial performance.
"We believe that the overriding cause of the firm's poor performance is a failure of leadership by Philip Purcell as the firm's CEO," the March 3 letter said.
In the statement announcing the management changes, Purcell said that Crawford and Cruz would have responsibility for institutional securities as well as individual investor and investment management groups.
He emphasized that the goal was improving performance.
"By combining our institutional, individual and investment management businesses under Steve and Zoe's leadership, we are continuing the great investment banking traditions of Morgan Stanley and creating a securities firm without peer," Purcell said in a statement. "The appointment of a new generation of leaders for our integrated securities businesses reaffirms our commitment to building long-lasting shareholder value."
The former executives, however, said that the restructuring "was not responsive" to their concerns.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats