Two groups of investors made offers on Friday for control of Wind, the telecommunications arm of Enel, Italy's biggest utility, which values the entire business at 12.9 billion euros (US$16.8 billion), setting the stage for one of Europe's largest-ever leveraged buyouts.
On Friday morning, a consortium of private equity investors headed by the Blackstone Group submitted an offer worth about 11.5 billion euros (US$15 billion), according an executive close to the bidding. The buyout firms Permira and Providence Equity Partners and the investment bank Goldman Sachs are the other investors in the group.
Several hours later, a second group headed by Naguib Sawiris, an Egyptian telecommunications executive, submitted a counter-offer, said another executive, who declined to disclose any details. Sawiris is the head of Orascom Telecom Holdings, which has operations across nine countries in the Middle East and Africa. He joined with the US financier Wilbur Ross and the French investor Philippe Nguyen to make a bid.
The two offers are understood to be for about three-quarters of Wind. Enel has said previously that it would like to retain 25 percent to 30 percent of the company, even if it turns over control to someone else. Enel would not provide any details about the bids on Friday.
"We will evaluate all possible offers," said Roberta Vivenzio, a spokeswoman for Enel.
Enel said late last year that it hoped to spin off Wind in a public offering but that it would also consider bids for the company.
"The preferred option remains an IPO," Vivenzio said on Friday. Enel has hired Morgan Stanley and an Italian law firm, Chiomenti, to evaluate the bids. Enel might be able to raise more money with a sale than a public offering, some bankers and analysts have said.
A purchase of Wind would leave any buyer highly leveraged. Both of the groups that made bids are expected to use loans to finance a large part of their offers. These will be in addition to Wind's sizable debt load. Enel carries Wind on its balance sheet at 6.3 billion euros in equity and 6.7 billion euros in debt.
Wind is Italy's third-largest mobile phone carrier behind Telecom Italia and the Italian operations of Vodafone. It is also the country's second-largest fixed line operator behind Telecom Italia. It has 28 million customers, including Internet users. The company reported 4.4 billion euros in revenue in 2003, the latest full-year data available.
Enel has a board meeting scheduled for Wednesday, when it is expected to evaluate both bids. A winner could be declared in mid-April, one executive close to the utility company said.
Citigroup and Lehman are advising the Blackstone-led group, and Citigroup, Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan Chase are providing financing for the offer. Four banks, including SanPaolo IMI of Italy, ABN Amro, Rothschild and UBS are advising Sawiris' group.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats