NTT DoCoMo Inc, the world's second-largest mobile-phone company, will introduce lower-priced versions of its high-speed mobile phones to encourage as many as half of its 47 million users to migrate to its newest services.
DoCoMo, whose FOMA high-speed wireless Internet service accounts for about a 10th of its subscriber base, plans to begin offering the cheaper handsets by September 2005, Chief Financial Officer Yoshiaki Ugaki, 54, said in a televised interview.
The new phones will have fewer functions than current high-speed models, helping Tokyo-based DoCoMo's manufacturers lower costs, Ugaki said. Producing the lower-cost models in bulk will also cut production costs, the executive said.
"DoCoMo is recovering after a delay in its development of third-generation service," said Shinji Moriyuki, senior analyst at Daiwa Institute of Research Ltd. in Tokyo, who has "outperform" rating on DoCoMo. "They have introduced a variety of handsets and a flat-rate fee to get the service's expansion into full swing." DoCoMo's FOMA, which lets users access e-mail, conduct video calls and download music, lags a similar service from KDDI Corp. by almost three to one. Mobile-phone carriers are counting on high-speed services to encourage users to spend more.
"We'll be able to lower the price of the phones by cutting procurement costs by ?10,000 per handset," Ugaki said.
‘A DISASTER’: A successful Chinese attack on Taiwan would undermine the credibility of US security guarantees and could result in a global depression, three experts wrote A Chinese takeover of Taiwan would be a geopolitical catastrophe for the US and its allies, one that would overshadow almost all others over the next decade, US policy experts said. Andrew Erickson, a professor of strategy in the US Naval War College’s China Maritime Studies Institute; Gabriel Collins, a fellow at Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public Policy; and former US deputy national security adviser Matthew Pottinger issued the warning in an article published on Friday in Foreign Affairs. Bejing’s invasion or annexation of Taiwan “would be a disaster of utmost importance to the United States, and I am convinced that
Taiwanese businesspeople’s investments in China last year hit a record low of 11.4 percent of total foreign investment, the Mainland Affairs Council said yesterday. The number was a huge decline from 83.8 percent in 2010, mainly because Taiwanese businesspeople have been diversifying their investments globally over the past few years, with great success, the council said. From 1991 to last year, 45,523 Taiwanese investments in China totaling US$206.37 billion had been approved, accounting for 50.7 percent of overall foreign investment, data from the Ministry of Economic Affairs’ Investment Commission showed. The amount and proportion of Taiwanese investments in China has been declining, with
Taiwanese tourists on board a Kinmen cruise ship had a scare yesterday when it was intercepted by Chinese coast guards who forcefully boarded the vessel to inspect it. The Sunrise, a tourism ferry that operates between Kinmen and Xiamen, China, was sailing around the waters around the islets of Dadan (大膽) and Erdan (二膽) — both of which are part of Kinmen County — yesterday afternoon when it encountered personnel from China’s Fujian Coast Guard Bureau. China Coast Guard personnel forced their way on board and conducted an inspection for about 30 minutes before leaving, local media cited the tourists as saying. The
SEEKING CALM: The US called for maintaining the ‘status quo,’ while the Ministry of National Defense said it would not bolster defenses in the area to avoid raising tensions Taiwanese should have greater faith in the government’s investigation into the capsizing of a Chinese vessel that resulted in the death of two Chinese fishers last week, the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) said yesterday, adding that Taiwan abides by the rule of law. On Wednesday last week, a Chinese speedboat was spotted trespassing in “prohibited” waters within 1.1 nautical miles (2km) of the east coast of Kinmen. It fled after refusing the coast guard’s request to board the vessel, setting off a chase that led to the boat capsizing, with two Chinese fishers dying. Two survivors were deported back to China