Sugar prices could soar 10 percent under a WTO ruling against Euro-pean subsidies that was being cheered by the major producing countries of Australia, Thailand and Brazil yesterday.
The big three producers had accused the EU of breaking trade rules with unfair sugar export subsidies and predicted the EU would have to sharply slash its exports if the preliminary ruling is made final.
"This is a significant win for Australia," Warren Males of Queens-land Sugar Ltd said, echoing similar triumphant remarks from Thailand, the world's second largest sugar exporter and Asia's biggest.
Thailand, which exports around 7 million tonnes of sugar each year worth about US$1.4 billion, "will gain from the ruling", said a senior official at the Thai Sugar Millers Association.
"The world sugar price is expected to rise by at least 10 percent," he said.
Queensland Sugar, Australia's monopoly raw sugar exporter, and the farmer group Canegrowers said the impact on world prices would be significant, but it was too early to tell just how high prices would go.
Canegrowers calculated the ruling would slash EU sugar exports by around two-thirds, to about 1.3 million tonnes a year, or sharply lower than the 4 million tonnes the EU shipped this year.
"A reduction in supply of around three million tonnes will have a market impact, no question about that," said Canegrowers general manager Ian Ballantyne. "We're hugely buoyed. We think it's a major victory for trade."
Australia, the world's third largest sugar exporter which ships 4 million tonnes of raw sugar each year worth A$1 billion (US$700 million), argued along with Thailand and Brazil that the EU subsidies had increased production artificially and depressed world prices.
Oxfam called the decision "a triumph for developing countries and a death knell for unfair EU sugar export subsidies."
The preliminary WTO ruling is confidential and a final ruling should be issued next month after both sides have had time to comment, although final rulings rarely differ from the preliminary ones.
Each side is able to appeal and it could be another year before the decision takes effect.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats