Halliburton Co will pay US$7.5 million to settle charges that it misled investors by not disclosing a 1998 accounting change at a time when US Vice President Dick Cheney was chief executive officer, officials said on Tuesday.
The US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) said it did not charge Cheney in the case. The agency charged the Houston-based oil services group, as well as its former chief financial officer Gary Morris and former controller Robert Muchmore.
The size of the penalty against Halliburton partly reflects an SEC view that company documents and information were not turned over quickly enough to commission investigators, it said.
"The commission will not tolerate lapses by companies that serve to delay or hinder the commission's investigative processes," Spencer Barasch, enforcement chief in the commission's Fort Worth, Texas office, said in a statement.
Cheney was chief executive officer of Halliburton from 1995 to 2000. He "provided sworn testimony and cooperated willingly and fully in the investigation," the commission said.
The case focused on Hallibur-ton's failure to disclose a change in accounting for revenue from claims against customers for construction project cost overruns, it said.
The accounting change boosted Halliburton's pretax profits over several quarters in 1998 and 1999 by more than US$120 million, but investors were not informed until March 2000, the commission said.
Washington consumer advocacy group Public Citizen said politics may have shielded Cheney from being held responsible, but the commission's top enforcement official said the case was brought on its merits.
"The commission brought the charges it believed were warranted by the evidence," said SEC Enforcement Director Stephen Cutler in an interview.
Cutler declined to discuss when Cheney testified and what the vice president told investigators.
The commission found Cheney was not involved in the accounting practice change, nor in the decision on whether to disclose it, said a lawyer for Cheney who asked not to be named.
Halliburton and Muchmore agreed to a settlement, with Muchmore paying a penalty of US$50,000 and the company a penalty of US$7.5 million. Neither admitted nor denied wrongdoing, as is customary in SEC settlement deals.
The enforcement action against Morris is unsettled and has been filed in US District Court in Hous-ton, the commission said.
"We think it's unfortunate the commission chose to file suit against Mr. Morris on a matter concerning events which occurred a number of years ago ... Mr. Morris intends to defend himself vigor-ously," said Tim McCormick, Morris' lawyer.
As a result of the Morris litigation, a transcript of Cheney's SEC testimony may become public through the legal discovery process, said a lawyer close to the case.
Halliburton said it is adjusting its second-quarter results to account for the settlement. It said there will be no restatement of prior financial disclosures.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats