China's Shenzhen Development Bank Co says its board has agreed to sell an 18 percent stake to US private equity firm Newbridge Capital Ltd in a rare deal giving effective control of a state-owned Chinese bank to a foreign company.
A notice by the bank, published in the state-owned China Securities Journal yesterday, said negotiations on the long-awaited deal were concluded over the weekend.
Four government entities in Shenzhen, a boomtown bordering Hong Kong, are to transfer their stakes to Newbridge, giving it a 17.89 percent stake, the notice said. It did not give financial terms for the deal, which requires approval by banking regulators.
A final agreement is to be signed soon, the notice said.
Newbridge's purchase is the first acquisition of a controlling stake in a state-owned local bank by a foreign company. Last fall, French bank BNP Paribas acquired China's first wholly foreign-owned bank. But that involved buying out its Chinese partner's share in a joint venture bank.
Shenzhen has been leading reforms aimed at reducing government ownership in state-owned enterprises.
The deal with Newbridge fits that strategy. It also is part of an effort to bring foreign involvement into banking management to help modernize a state-owned banking industry that lags decades behind its foreign competitors.
Newbridge, an affiliate of major American private equity firm Texas Pacific Group, began talks with Shenzhen in September 2002. But the deal ran into trouble when Newbridge accused the Chinese side of breaking its agreement and trying to sell their shares to a Taiwanese company, Chinatrust Financial Holding Co (
Foreign financial institutions have been rushing to acquire strategic holdings in China's banks ahead of the full opening of the banking sector to foreign competition in 2006.
In March, China Minsheng Banking Corp, the country's first privately held bank, announced plans to sell a 4.8 percent stake to Newbridge. Newbridge also has a stake in Korea First Bank and in Japan Telecom Co.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats