Cingular Wireless' US$41 billion bid to take over AT&T wireless -- the biggest cash offer in US history -- is making investors sweat.
"It's a very full price for a business with falling subscriber numbers and profits," said Julian Hewett, telecommunications analyst for the European consultancy firm Ovum.
The price blasted the only other bidder, British giant Vodafone, out of the race and delighted investors in London who had been fretting over reports Vodafone had offered US$38 billion.
"If Vodafone's game was to drive up the price, then it's certainly succeeded," Hewett said.
At US$15 a share, the offer for AT&T Wireless was 36.5 percent above its closing price on Jan. 21, the day before the second US wireless telecoms company was effectively placed on the block.
Cingular's parents -- SBC Communications, which owns 60 percent of Cingular, and BellSouth Corp, which owns the other 40 percent -- were under pressure. SBC shares fell US$0.21, or 0.84 percent, to US$24.66 and BellSouth dropped US$0.49, or 1.66 percent, to US$29.06.
Vodafone, meanwhile, surged 6.2 percent to ?1.4075 in London.
New York-based Moody's Investors Service and Standard and Poor's agencies warned they may downgrade Cingular Wireless' and its parents' credit ratings because of an expected increase in debt to pay for the deal.
SBC and BellSouth were expected to use debt to finance a major portion of the US$36 billion net cash funding required for the deal, said Standard and Poor's credit analyst Catherine Cosentino.
That extra debt triggered the downgrade threat.
"In addition, Standard and Poor's will assess the effect on these companies' business risk profiles that the acquisition will have, including integration risk, as well as greater scale and other synergistic benefits," she said.
"Given that there will still be five major national wireless players after this transaction, industry competition and pricing pressures may not be markedly reduced from this combination. In fact, pricing pressures may be exacerbated if Cingular chooses to be more aggressive."
Cingular president and chief executive Stan Sigman said he was "very comfortable" that savings through synergies between the two companies would cover the huge premium in the price.
The companies could find synergies worth US$1 billion dollars in 2006 and then US$2 billion annually from 2007, he said.
Some of the synergies would be found by eliminating jobs.
"Yes, there will be employees that are affected by this," Sigman told a telephone news conference.
The number of workers affected was not yet known, he said.
Legg Mason researchers said they expected regulators to clear the deal, but they warned that Cingular or AT&T Wireless may be asked to sell some assets in areas where they have combined dominance.
"It poses greater risks of conditions and/or divestitures than a Vodafone purchase would have," said a report by Legg Mason analysts Blair Levin, Rebecca Arbogast and David Kaut.
Zones where the two firms have their most entrenched markets -- Dallas, Miami, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Orlando, and Jacksonville -- were most at risk for forced divestitures, they said.
But Cingular and AT&T Wireless might successfully argue that new US rules allowing customers to change companies while keeping their telephone numbers unchanged made such conditions unnecessary, the analysts said.
A Cingular-AT&T Wireless combination could be good news for US competitors, said telecommunications analyst Andy Belt, from Adventis in Boston.
It "will mean a modest reduction of competition for other players on the market and slightly less price pressure," Belt said.
The integration of the two businesses would not be easy, he warned, possibly giving rivals a chance to steal opportunities.
The deal also left British giant Vodafone stuck with a 44.4-percent stake in Verizon Wireless, which it had been prepared to dump in favor of AT&T Wireless.
"Vodafone has shown its hand, they're not happy with their minority stake in Verizon Wireless," Belt said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary