WorldCom Inc has received preliminary court approval to go about its day-to-day operations, but the telecommunications company will be under intense scrutiny as it tries to emerge from the biggest bankruptcy in US history.
The Clinton, Mississippi-based company got permission from the US Bankruptcy Court in Manhattan Monday to spend US$2 billion in interim financing so that it can keep doing business.
US Bankruptcy Judge Arthur J. Gonzalez also approved the appointment of an independent investigator sought by the Justice Department to look into mismanagement, irregularities and fraud.
Attorney General John Ashcroft said an independent examiner "will provide transparency to the process" and increase public confidence in how the case is handled.
WorldCom filed for bankruptcy protection Sunday, less than a month after it was revealed that the long-distance company hid nearly US$4 billion in expenses through deceptive accounting. It is the biggest company to fall victim to scandal since the Enron Corp. debacle of last year.
WorldCom attorney Marcia Goldstein said the credit facility came from lead lenders: Citigroup Inc, JP Morgan Chase and GE Capital, a unit of General Electric Co.
"It was the best overall financing package that the company could obtain," said Goldstein.
The company will also pay US$45 million a month to its current workers and US$23.7 million in severance to the 5,100 laid off employees. They will receive dlrs 4,650 each.
Though such moves are routine in bankruptcies of this magnitude, the US. Trustee's request for an independent examiner underscored concerns about whether WorldCom's current management team represents a clean enough break from the past.
John Sidgmore, the company veteran who recently stepped in as chief executive, has come under scrutiny for his ability to steer the company out of scandal because he worked at high levels in the company amid the accounting scandal.
But Joe Galzarano, a telecommunications debt analyst for CIBC World Markets, argued that WorldCom's reorganization might go more smoothly with a company and industry veteran such as Sidgmore at the helm.
"Sidgmore hasn't been tarnished yet, and at this point, I believe WorldCom is such a large entity that they need someone in there that has a sense of what the organization is about," said Galzarano. "I think it's a difficult environment for someone new to come in."
Dave Peterson, an analyst for Fitch Ratings, agreed that "there's going to be a degree of mistrust and lack of faith in management's ability to execute. They have a long way to go in terms of building credibility with investors."
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats