Japan said it will notify the WTO today of plans to retaliate against US steel tariffs after Washington rebuked Tokyo's last-minute plea for compensation or an annulment of the hefty duties.
The trade ministry announced yesterday it planned to impose 100 percent tariffs on US$4.88 million worth of US steel and steel products from June 18, the first such action by Tokyo.
That would be part of a larger retaliation plan worth US$123.43 million to be implemented if the WTO ruled against the US for placing tariffs of up to 30 percent on steel imports to protect its ailing domestic industry.
Still, Tokyo left the door open for further negotiations before it implements retaliatory steps next month.
"This is a necessary step to retain our right to the rebalancing measures. What is still important is to continue talking to them," Vice Trade Minister Katsusada Hirose told reporters.
The feud stems from US President George W. Bush's decision in March to impose what he called safeguard measures for American steel companies that are no longer competitive in the global market, which has sparked threats of reprisals from the EU, South Korea and other steelmaking countries.
"We had been asking for compensation or an annulment of the duties, but the US did not respond. And so we will be informing the WTO of our plans," a trade official told a news conference.
"We've never been forced to take such action, but then there's never been a case like this."
Japanese Trade Minister Takeo Hiranuma had asked US Trade Representative Robert Zoellick in a telephone call yesterday to defuse the row, but the two sides failed to agree, the official said.
Today is the deadline for Japan to submit a list of retaliatory measures to the world trade body.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats