Samsung Electronics Co and LG.Philips LCD Co, the two largest makers of flat-panel displays, say prices are starting to recoup last year's 45 percent decline.
Now, they are asking whether their Taiwanese rivals will spoil the party -- again.
PHOTO: AFP
"We hope they find some way not to repeat last year's situation," when prices fell by about half after six Taiwan firms opened factories, said Cho Yeong-dok, a top executive in Samsung Electronic's flat-panel division.
Samsung and LG.Philips, a venture between Europe's biggest and South Korea's No. 2 electronics firms, have long contended the world is flat. Their screens are thinner and lighter than cathode-ray tubes and are expected to be the standard for high-definition TVs, which some predict may be widespread by 2005.
Cho's comments, however, underline concern that companies in the US$10 billion industry are about to misjudge the market again.
South Korean firms may be just as much to blame: This year, Samsung and LG.Philips are opening so-called fifth-generation plants that can make as many as 16 laptop-size screens per glass sheet, compared with a maximum of six previously.
Samsung and LG.Philips say demand is overwhelming. Samsung can fill only 70 percent of the orders it's receiving these days, and is speeding up equipping its new plant which will churn out 30,000 of the larger glass sheets per month by October, Cho said.
Samsung forecasts demand will increase by between 72 percent and 74 percent this year. Supply, boosted by Samsung and a new LG.Philips plant that will make it the biggest producer by volume, will grow about 28 percent, the company estimated.
"If you don't have a fifth-generation plant coming on line this year you probably shouldn't bother," said Bruce Berkoff, LG.Philips' vice president of sales. "We are opening our factory right at the beginning of the shortage, which means we had to have the guts to invest during the glut."
The two South Korean companies and analysts agree that a screen shortage will persist until the second half of next year. The average sale price of a 15-inch screen will rise to about US$285 in the fourth quarter from a low of US$213 in the third quarter of 2001, according to UBS Warburg.
The worry: Taiwan plants now in the works will come on stream just as prices peak. Five of Taiwanese companies, including Chunghwa Picture Tubes Ltd (
"Taiwanese and Korean makers are planning to increase production," said Nobuaki Murayama, fund manager at Cigna International Investment Advisors Co. "I'm afraid we might see oversupply."
About 27 million screens will be made this year, a fraction of the 130 million personal computers forecast to be sold.
New markets -- the wider acceptance of videophones, for example -- may also boost demand for screens so thin that users can stack multiple units on a desk at the same time. High-definition televisions, which have up to five times better picture quality and sound, will also help.
Digital television also broadcasts in "widescreen" format, meaning TVs will need to be wider and larger than today's models.
"You can't imagine a 40-inch CRT -- it's too heavy," said Cho. "It takes two people to lift it. By 2005 we will all be buying LCD TVs."
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats