The White House denied on Thursday a senior Democrat's allegations that its 2001 energy plan was crafted to benefit Enron Corp, as auditor Andersen confirmed its executives discussed debt kept off the energy trading giant's books long before the deals triggered its collapse.
Houston-based Enron fired Andersen as its auditor, blaming it for destroying Enron documents government investigators were seeking for a probe into the energy trader's aggressive and murky bookkeeping, while the top US securities regulator proposed tougher accounting oversight.
But Andersen denied that a memo about off-book debt meant the accounting firm knew about any improprieties, despite concerns over whether the auditor should have questioned Enron's finances further, or whether an Enron consulting contract that paid it US$1 million a week in 2000 kept the accounting firm mum.
The White House on Thursday tried to distance itself from the widening scandal, denying its energy plan had been crafted to benefit Enron, US President George W. Bush's biggest political patron. A White House spokesman called a senior Democrat's report on the matter a "waste of taxpayers' money."
The White House also rebuffed repeated calls for the release of information about contacts between Vice President Dick Cheney's energy task force and energy companies, including Enron.
New Watchdog Proposed
In response to the Andersen-Enron debacle, Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Harvey Pitt called for a supervisory body with new powers that would eclipse those of the profession's present overseer.
"We initially envision a public body that will be dominated by public members with two primary components -- discipline and quality control," Pitt said at an afternoon news conference. "We are at the early stages of this proposal and many details remain to be worked out."
Enron filed for the biggest bankruptcy in US history last month, throwing thousands out of work and leaving investors holding worthless shares in the once giant energy trader.
The Andersen memo, confirmed by the company, relates how a meeting of top managers had long discussions on Enron's myriad off-shore partnerships and moves to keep debt off its books. The memo also mentions "conflicts of interest" involving an Enron chief financial officer who ran some of the partnerships.
Andersen spokesman Charlie Leonard said the meeting described in the memo of Feb. 6 was simply a standard annual review of Enron. The executives discussed whether the auditor should retain Enron as a client, he said.
`Nothing Improper'
"Nothing in the meeting or the memo indicated that any illegal actions or improper accounting was suspected," Andersen said in a statement late on Thursday. "It was not until [Enron executive Sherron] Watkins notified the firm ... that we became aware that individuals within Enron believed that there may have been accounting improprieties."
Enron Chairman and Chief Executive Ken Lay said the directors decided to fire Andersen at a meeting on Thursday.
"We can't afford to wait any longer in light of recent events, including the reported destruction of documents by Andersen personnel and the disciplinary actions taken against several of Andersen's partners working in its Houston office," Lay said in a statement.
Andersen viewed the firing as moot, however. "Our relationship with Enron ended when the company's business failed and it went into bankruptcy," said Andersen spokesman Patrick Dorton.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats