Korea Exchange Bank said other creditors of Hynix Semiconductor Inc can opt out of its stalled bail-out for the third-largest chipmaker, provided they write off seven-tenths of their loans.
Hynix's biggest creditor made the proposal while increasing the amount of money it says the chipmaker needs to stay in business from US$5.4 billion to US$6 billion, in what would be the company's second rescue package in four months.
KEB needs the agreement of creditors holding 75 percent of Hynix debt to force through its proposal and wants lenders blocking the plan to agree or pull out. Hynix shares closed 5.3 percent higher at 900 won on hopes a pact can be reached that will keep the company in business.
"The proposal, if accepted by the banks, will help pave the way for the long-stalled bailout of Hynix," said Sohn Dong-shik, who helps manage 800 billion won (US$618 million) in Korean assets at Mirae Asset Investment Management Co in Seoul.
The price KEB's asking may be too high for some of the dissenting banks, Kookmin Bank, H&CB, Shinhan Bank, Hana Bank and Korea First Bank. They own 16.9 percent of the debt.
Creditors reluctant to lend more money to Hynix will be asked to forgive 70 percent of their loans and convert the rest into shares in the chipmaker at 3,100 won each, Korea Exchange Bank said.
"The penalty for wanting out of the bailout program is ridiculous," said Lee Soo-ho, chief credit officer at Korea First Bank. "We might as well say no to the whole proposal and exercise an option for our debt to be bought back" by the other lenders.
H&CB said it is "positively considering" the proposal.
KEB's package now includes 4 trillion won of debt to be exchanged into Hynix shares, 1.2 trillion won of bonds to be rolled over by investment trusts, 1 trillion won of new loans, 1 trillion won of new shares to be sold by the company and the extension of 500 billion won of loans to non-bank lenders.
Creditors will discuss the proposal at a meeting tentatively set for today, said Chung Hyung Ryang, head of Korea Exchange Bank's credit risk division.
The bailout stalled because Kookmin and four others opposed giving new loans to a company losing money as it makes chips at below the cost of production. Hynix is also saddled with 8.6 trillion won of debt that contributed to a bigger-than-expected 1.6 trillion won loss in the third quarter.
"What Hynix really needs now is more money for its operation, not just reducing its debts," said Kang Eon Ku, who manages 330 billion won at LG Investment Trust Management Co in Seoul.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats