Boeing Co's loss to Lockheed Martin Corp for the US$200 billion Joint Strike Fighter program is a short-term blow that won't hurt its ability to remain a competitive military aircraft supplier, analysts said.
Boeing, already suffering from declining airliner deliveries after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, said it cut its forecast for next year's sales by US$1 billion to US$55 billion. The company left its guidance for profit margins and cash flow unchanged.
While the loss is disappointing, analysts said Boeing isn't out of the fighter business. South Korea may place a US$3 billion order for 40 Boeing F-15s, and the US Navy may request 500 more F/A-18 Super Hornets. Boeing also can expect growing demand for planes used for reconnaissance, aerial refueling and cargo.
PHOTO: REUTERS
"Boeing has a substantial space and defense business, regardless of JSF," said Peter Jacobs, an analyst with Wells Fargo Van Kasper, who has a "strong buy" rating on the stock.
"In any case it will remain in the fighter business for at least 10 years as a prime contractor."
After a five-year-long competition, the Pentagon today chose Lockheed, the biggest defense contractor, to build 3,000 JSFs for the Air Force, Navy and Marines and for the UK Royal Navy. The contract is the largest in the history of military aviation and may be the only new manned fighter program for at least 20 years.
PHOTO: AP PHOTO
The Pentagon's top acquisition official, Edward Aldridge, said there should be plenty of work for other contractors. Boeing has ongoing programs through 2012 "and after that point there's still design work going on in unmanned aircraft," he said, referring to aerial reconnaissance and combat drones.
Boeing Chairman Phil Condit said at a news conference that the company would welcome a role as a supplier on JSF, although Lockheed didn't say whether Boeing would get one. "It's too early to tell," Lockheed Chief Financial Officer Christopher Kubasik said. "It will ultimately be up to the customer."
Many analysts viewed Boeing as the favorite in 1999 and early 2000, when Lockheed's aircraft unit suffered delays and cost overruns that led to rebukes from Pentagon officials.
Lockheed replaced top managers in the unit last year.
Bethesda, Maryland-based Lockheed may have won because its design was considered less risky than that of Chicago-based Boeing, which used a more unusual front-mounted engine and had to rework the tail section of its plane, analysts said.
"The perception is Lockheed got it right the first time," said Bill Dane, an analyst with Forecast International Inc.
Lockheed's design is a variant of its F-22.
Some analysts, and at times the contractors themselves, portrayed JSF as a do-or-die race that would push the loser out of the fighter-jet business. While it does establish Lockheed as the leader, Boeing, the second-largest defense contractor, has a broad range of businesses and expertise, analysts said.
"Boeing is a very capable builder of airplanes, of whatever type," said Bob Toomey, an analyst with Dain Rauscher Inc in Seattle, who has a "strong buy" on the stock and has owned it himself since 1995. "And in fact, it's increasingly a large- scale integrator of technology, military and civil."
Boeing, the largest planemaker, has been expanding beyond aircraft into everything from satellites to missile defense.
Jacobs estimated that JSF would have accounted for less than 5 percent of Boeing's sales at the peak of production.
Boeing got US$12.2 billion of its US$51.3 billion in sales last year from its St. Louis-based military aircraft and missiles unit. The main fighter it produces is the carrier-based F/A-18.
More than 50 of 284 have been delivered under the Navy's current order, and Boeing estimates it will produce 548 through 2010.
Major orders for other aircraft are likely. A US House committee earmarked money this week to accelerate development of the 767 as a replacement for aging KC-135 tankers used by the Air Force. Boeing could build 200 of the 767 tankers, ABN Amro analyst Mike Newman said. Commercial versions of the widebodied jets sell for more than US$100 million each.
"I know there are active discussions going on," Condit said. "I do believe they're accelerating."
Boeing also may extend the life of its F-15, a 30-year-old aircraft down to its last 10 orders. Boeing is competing against Dassault Aviation SA's Rafale fighter for the contract from South Korea, which expects to name a winner as early as next month.
Credit Suisse First Boston analyst Pierre Chao gave Boeing an 80 percent chance in a report this week.
A win could help bring back some employees who've been laid off as F-15 production waned, said Rick Smith, president of the International Association of Machinists branch in St. Louis, which represents 3,300 Boeing workers.
He said the contract could support 1,000 jobs among machinists, although that would depend on how much work is given to Korean companies.
"It would definitely impact us, even sooner than the JSF," Smith said. "Naturally it wouldn't be as long term or affect as many employees in the long run."
Boeing had estimated that winning JSF could support 3,000 jobs in Seattle and 3,000 to 5,000 in St. Louis.
The company said it may have to lay off some of the 400 employees who had worked on the bid, although the "very best people" may be assigned to other programs, said Jerry Daniels, chief executive of Boeing's military aircraft unit.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats