Australia yesterday confirmed its first case of H5N1 bird flu in a mammal, with the deadly virus found in a long-nosed fur seal in South Australia.
Australia has been grappling with rising cases of the highly pathogenic avian influenza after it landed in the country in June. The country’s first mass seabird deaths from the virus occurred this month, marking an escalation of the outbreak that began after the virus was first detected in migratory seabirds before spreading to native species.
South Australian authorities confirmed the nation’s first mammalian detection in the seal, found at the coastal town of Beachport, about 310 km south of Adelaide, the state capital.
Photo: AP
The seal, one of an estimated population of 100,000 in the state’s waters, was found dead with no signs of injury, the authorities said.
Its death “does not appear to be associated with other sick or dead marine mammals,” Australian Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry Julie Collins said in televised remarks.
“Once the H5 bird flu is spreading in the natural environment it is not possible to avoid significant losses,” she said.
Australia was the last continent to report bird flu, although the virus was detected late last year on the subantarctic territory of Heard Island. More than 13,000 baby seals were killed by the virus on the island, local media reported.
Seals are at high risk of contracting the virus because they live near wild birds on rocky outcrops on the coast, South Australia Department of Primary Industries and Regions Chief Veterinary Officer Skye Fruean said.
“They would be coming across, no doubt, really high levels of the virus in their environment,” Fruean said in televised remarks.
H5N1 has not shown up in Australia’s poultry or agriculture, according to the federal government, which on Friday said that 297 cases had been confirmed nationwide.
HELD ACCOUNTABLE: A total of 56 people were handed prison sentences, with terms for senior executives ranging from six to 18 years in jail, Xinhua reported China yesterday sentenced the founder of embattled property giant Evergrande to life in prison and fined the group more than US$2 billion for offenses including fraud, five years after a high-profile default. Evergrande Group was once the face of Chinese real estate, surfing a decades-long property boom as it peddled home-ownership dreams. However, its access to credit dramatically narrowed when the government introduced curbs on excessive borrowing and speculation. The company defaulted in 2021 after struggling to repay creditors. A court in southern China fined the firm and its real-estate arm a total of 15.82 billion yuan (US$2.35 billion). It issued a life sentence
TWIN DISASTERS: Authorities are investigating the cause of the stampede in Bihar that killed seven people and the fire at a hotel in West Bengal that also killed seven A deadly stampede yesterday broke out at a Hindu temple in eastern India’s Bihar state, hours after a fire swept through a hotel housing pilgrims in West Bengal state. Seven people were killed and more than a dozen injured in the stampede, while the blaze left at least seven people dead and several others critically injured, police said. The incident in Bihar occurred near Ashok Dham Temple in Lakhisarai District, as thousands of devotees gathered to offer prayers on the third Monday of Shravan. The period, which usually falls between July and August, is dedicated to the worship of Hindu god Lord Shiva
When food safety inspectors raided a Mumbai dessert parlor famed for its ice cream sandwiches last month, they found rats, houseflies and expired flavoring agents. At another beloved restaurant known for slow-cooked mutton and beef stews, they discovered meat stored in filthy containers, greasy floors and open windows that could let in insects and crows. Both eateries were ordered shut in the toughest crackdown in years on restaurants in the megacity of more than 20 million people. Residents of India’s financial capital are fiercely protective of their food culture, but many have welcomed the closure of some of the best-known establishments over
A former adviser at the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) on Tuesday pleaded guilty to conspiring to evade public records laws and conceal government documents related to grant research funding and the COVID-19 pandemic. David Morens, who had worked as a senior official at the institute during the COVID-19 pandemic, entered his plea to a conspiracy charge during a hearing in federal court in Greenbelt, Maryland. The 78-year-old had been indicted in April on charges related to what prosecutors said was a scheme to thwart public records requests received by the agency beginning in April 2020 related to