Tang Ngok-kwan (鄧岳君) occasionally visits the places where Hong Kongers once publicly remembered Beijing’s 1989 Tiananmen Square Massacre.
Although Tang’s fellow activists were locked up in prison, accused of inciting subversion, and an annual candlelight vigil they previously organized to mourn the crackdown’s victims vanished, the 58-year-old continues to personally and discreetly remember the event, which is a political taboo on mainland China.
At Victoria Park, where tens of thousands of people once gathered for the only large-scale public commemoration of the bloody military crackdown in China, Tang bowed on the eve of the anniversary and read off a list of the victims in a low voice. He sometimes returns to two university campuses where commemorative sculptures once stood, even though most traces of their existence already have vanished.
Photo: AP
Two of Tang’s former colleagues were convicted on Friday under the Beijing-imposed National Security Law, facing a maximum prison term of 10 years. Their vigil organizing group also was found guilty. Government-approved judges ruled the pair had incited others to overthrow the leadership of the Chinese Communist Party through unlawful means.
Many observers say the convictions were the latest case reflecting the decline in freedoms in the former British colony that returned to Chinese rule in 1997.
However, the Hong Kong government on Saturday condemned “baseless slanders” against the territory, saying that the court only considered the laws and evidence and that many rights and freedoms are not absolute.
Tang said the arguments in the verdict did not convince him and he felt wronged on behalf of those convicted.
“After the alliance were convicted, I feel that whenever people bring up the alliance, there’ll be a sense of wariness around it,” he said.
Tang was a young man when he joined a wave of people who marched in Hong Kong in support of Beijing’s student-led, democracy protests in May 1989.
When tanks rolled into the heart of Beijing on the night of June 3-4 to quell the protests, Tang did not sleep. Hundreds, possibly thousands of people, were killed during the crackdown.
Shortly after the bloody event, some members of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China, along with others sympathetic to the protesters, mobilized to help bring those wanted by authorities to safety. The group also ran a massive public candlelight vigil that attracted tens of thousands of people annually for three decades.
Tang said he feels a moral burden because he believes Hong Kong’s support might have left the students in a position with no easy exit in 1989. That kept Tang, who turned from a volunteer to a core member of the alliance, working behind the scenes for years.
Authorities banned the annual vigil in 2020, citing risks to public health during the COVID-19 pandemic. Weeks later, Beijing imposed Hong Kong’s National Security Law, saying it was necessary for stability following massive protests in 2019.
The alliance’s fate was called into question in 2021. A Chinese official criticized those chanting “end one-party dictatorship,” without naming the group. Police also sought details about its operations and finances in connection with alleged links to pro-democracy groups overseas, accusing it of being a foreign agent.
However, the group refused to cooperate and told reporters in September 2021 that the request was an “abuse of power.”
Tang said he knew by then he would be imprisoned for not handing in the information, and was frightened when he saw a large crowd of reporters at the venue.
“It really feels like everyone is watching how you die and then coming to see you off on your way,” he said.
Days later, Tang was arrested over the refusal, alongside several other core members. The alliance’s chair and vice chairs, Lee Cheuk-yan (李卓人), Chow Hang-tung (鄒幸彤) and Albert Ho (何俊仁), were charged under the security law. The group voted to disband soon after and two commemorative statues and one relief were removed at university campuses in late 2021.
Tang, Chow and another core member were each sentenced to four-and-a-half months in prison each in 2023 for failing to provide authorities with information.
Tang’s prison term overlapped with the 35th anniversary of the crackdown. To remember it, he ran 35 laps barefoot.
The trio’s convictions were quashed last year by Hong Kong’s top court, although they had already served their terms.
The legal battle involving the vigil organizers did not end there. The trial for Lee and Chow began in January and Tang was a regular presence in the courtroom’s public gallery. Ho entered a guilty plea, a move that typically results in a sentence reduction.
Before their trial, commemorating the crackdown publicly had already become politically sensitive. Police took away some people who tried to do so near the former vigil site on the massacre’s anniversary. After the lifting of pandemic restrictions, an annual carnival occupied Victoria Park on every anniversary.
Police would not let Tang enter court on Friday if he insisted on bringing along “sensitive” materials, including bookmarks printed with the words “vindicate June 4,” he said.
He has walked repeatedly between a subway station and the trial court to remember the years Lee and Chow spent in custody awaiting trial, he said, adding that there are 64 steps leading up from the subway station exit, a number echoing the June 4 anniversary.
Tang has an eye for details like that. He joked it was “pathological.”
“When there’s nothing concrete you can do, the only option, to put it bluntly, well, it’s just another kind of way to balance your psychology,” he said.
HELD ACCOUNTABLE: A total of 56 people were handed prison sentences, with terms for senior executives ranging from six to 18 years in jail, Xinhua reported China yesterday sentenced the founder of embattled property giant Evergrande to life in prison and fined the group more than US$2 billion for offenses including fraud, five years after a high-profile default. Evergrande Group was once the face of Chinese real estate, surfing a decades-long property boom as it peddled home-ownership dreams. However, its access to credit dramatically narrowed when the government introduced curbs on excessive borrowing and speculation. The company defaulted in 2021 after struggling to repay creditors. A court in southern China fined the firm and its real-estate arm a total of 15.82 billion yuan (US$2.35 billion). It issued a life sentence
TWIN DISASTERS: Authorities are investigating the cause of the stampede in Bihar that killed seven people and the fire at a hotel in West Bengal that also killed seven A deadly stampede yesterday broke out at a Hindu temple in eastern India’s Bihar state, hours after a fire swept through a hotel housing pilgrims in West Bengal state. Seven people were killed and more than a dozen injured in the stampede, while the blaze left at least seven people dead and several others critically injured, police said. The incident in Bihar occurred near Ashok Dham Temple in Lakhisarai District, as thousands of devotees gathered to offer prayers on the third Monday of Shravan. The period, which usually falls between July and August, is dedicated to the worship of Hindu god Lord Shiva
When food safety inspectors raided a Mumbai dessert parlor famed for its ice cream sandwiches last month, they found rats, houseflies and expired flavoring agents. At another beloved restaurant known for slow-cooked mutton and beef stews, they discovered meat stored in filthy containers, greasy floors and open windows that could let in insects and crows. Both eateries were ordered shut in the toughest crackdown in years on restaurants in the megacity of more than 20 million people. Residents of India’s financial capital are fiercely protective of their food culture, but many have welcomed the closure of some of the best-known establishments over
A former adviser at the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) on Tuesday pleaded guilty to conspiring to evade public records laws and conceal government documents related to grant research funding and the COVID-19 pandemic. David Morens, who had worked as a senior official at the institute during the COVID-19 pandemic, entered his plea to a conspiracy charge during a hearing in federal court in Greenbelt, Maryland. The 78-year-old had been indicted in April on charges related to what prosecutors said was a scheme to thwart public records requests received by the agency beginning in April 2020 related to