Swedish police are investigating whether an 18-year-old man who attacked students at a high school with a sword on Friday, killing one, was involved in online communities promoting school violence, a police source said.
Police are investigating whether a TikTok account that posted a picture of a sword 20 minutes before the assault belonged to the suspect, the source said.
The Dagens Nyheter reported that the image appeared to have been taken in a restroom at the school.
Photo: EPA
Before it was taken down on Friday, the month-old account contained videos that referred to two episodes of mass violence in Sweden and to Norwegian far-right mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik. One of the videos referenced a 2015 attack in which a masked swordsman killed a teaching assistant and two boys at a school in Trollhattan, Sweden, before being shot dead by police.
“The investigators are looking into various online communities which might have egged on the suspect to carry out the attack,” the police source said.
Police revealed that a 17-year-old student was the fatal victim of the attack at Brinell School in Fagersta, where flowers and candles were left outside as Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson and opposition leader Magdalena Andersson arrived on Saturday morning to honor the dead student and three wounded victims.
The 18-year-old attacker entered the school on Friday afternoon — just days after the school in the town of 13,000 people had returned from its summer break. He has since been detained by police.
“The person killed in this incident is a young 17-year-old female. Her family has been informed,” police wrote on their Web site without giving any other identity details.
“It’s terrible to think that someone you sat at the same table with, someone you talked to, is suddenly dead,” Minnea, a Brinell student who also went to honor the victims on Saturday, told Sveriges Television.
Several party leaders on Saturday canceled planned speeches, pausing campaigning ahead of the Sept. 13 election.
“What should never happen has happened again,” Kristersson told reporters in Fagersta.
“Our thoughts go first and foremost to the families who have been incredibly hard hit by this,” he said.
Sweden’s worst mass shooting occurred in February last year at a school in the south-central city of Orebro, when a shooter killed 10 people before turning the gun on himself.
On Saturday, the police clarified that the suspect in the Fagersta attack had not been shot, contrary to what they had said on Friday.
“Service weapons were used, but the perpetrator has not been injured in connection with the arrest, and has not been in need of medical attention,” a police spokesperson told the Aftonbladet daily.
Prosecutors ordered the man’s detention on suspicion of murder and several counts of attempted murder.
“The investigation is at an intense stage. We are conducting interrogations and gathering information, but I cannot go into specifics,” prosecutor Ann-Sofie Trossing said.
HELD ACCOUNTABLE: A total of 56 people were handed prison sentences, with terms for senior executives ranging from six to 18 years in jail, Xinhua reported China yesterday sentenced the founder of embattled property giant Evergrande to life in prison and fined the group more than US$2 billion for offenses including fraud, five years after a high-profile default. Evergrande Group was once the face of Chinese real estate, surfing a decades-long property boom as it peddled home-ownership dreams. However, its access to credit dramatically narrowed when the government introduced curbs on excessive borrowing and speculation. The company defaulted in 2021 after struggling to repay creditors. A court in southern China fined the firm and its real-estate arm a total of 15.82 billion yuan (US$2.35 billion). It issued a life sentence
TWIN DISASTERS: Authorities are investigating the cause of the stampede in Bihar that killed seven people and the fire at a hotel in West Bengal that also killed seven A deadly stampede yesterday broke out at a Hindu temple in eastern India’s Bihar state, hours after a fire swept through a hotel housing pilgrims in West Bengal state. Seven people were killed and more than a dozen injured in the stampede, while the blaze left at least seven people dead and several others critically injured, police said. The incident in Bihar occurred near Ashok Dham Temple in Lakhisarai District, as thousands of devotees gathered to offer prayers on the third Monday of Shravan. The period, which usually falls between July and August, is dedicated to the worship of Hindu god Lord Shiva
When food safety inspectors raided a Mumbai dessert parlor famed for its ice cream sandwiches last month, they found rats, houseflies and expired flavoring agents. At another beloved restaurant known for slow-cooked mutton and beef stews, they discovered meat stored in filthy containers, greasy floors and open windows that could let in insects and crows. Both eateries were ordered shut in the toughest crackdown in years on restaurants in the megacity of more than 20 million people. Residents of India’s financial capital are fiercely protective of their food culture, but many have welcomed the closure of some of the best-known establishments over
A former adviser at the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) on Tuesday pleaded guilty to conspiring to evade public records laws and conceal government documents related to grant research funding and the COVID-19 pandemic. David Morens, who had worked as a senior official at the institute during the COVID-19 pandemic, entered his plea to a conspiracy charge during a hearing in federal court in Greenbelt, Maryland. The 78-year-old had been indicted in April on charges related to what prosecutors said was a scheme to thwart public records requests received by the agency beginning in April 2020 related to