Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said in remarks made public yesterday that it would be too dangerous for Ukraine to hold an election while it fights Russia’s invasion, after a call by his former defense minister to organize a vote.
Ukraine has suspended elections under martial law, a measure widely supported by the population as the country focuses on fighting off the Russian invasion launched in 2022.
“I believe that in a war like this, elections as such are a huge risk. Elections right now are a tsunami for the country that will split Ukraine,” Zelenskiy said.
Photo: AFP
“If we want to destroy the country, then we can move in the direction of elections during these times of war,” added the 48-year-old, who became president in 2019.
He made the comments on Saturday in a briefing with journalists, the first in months amid several political crises.
The latest upheaval saw thousands of people take to the streets after Zelenskiy fired popular former Ukrainian minister of defense Mykhailo Fedorov.
The ousted Fedorov this week made a surprise call to find a way to organize elections — but without offering a road map, and prompting even some of his supporters to distance themselves from him.
Experts have cited a flurry of obstacles to elections, including how soldiers, millions of Ukrainian refugees and people from occupied territories would vote, as well as disinformation threats from Russia.
The election call also came as Ukraine struggles to fend off daily Russian missile and drone strikes on Kyiv and other cities.
Only 15 percent of Ukrainians believe elections should be held before the end of hostilities, a poll by the Kyiv Institute of Sociology showed.
Meanwhile, France on Saturday promised to deliver new interceptor missiles to Ukraine amid a surge in Russian strikes that have pushed civilian deaths in the four-and-a-half-year war to their highest since the first months of Moscow’s invasion.
At least 13 people were killed in strikes overnight and through Saturday — seven in Ukraine, four in Russia and two in Russia-annexed Crimea.
The latest deadly attacks come as rescuers in the eastern Ukrainian city of Kryvyi Rig were sifting through the rubble of a partly destroyed shopping center, where 16 were killed a day earlier in a Russian drone attack.
Ukraine’s allies in the Coalition of the Willing — an initiative led by France and the UK — were today to meet to look at how to ramp up pressure on Moscow to halt its invasion.
“It is crucial to provide Ukraine with all the necessary means to defend its skies and thwart this aggression,” French President Emmanuel Macron wrote on X.
Russia has pounded Ukraine — the Kyiv especially — with ballistic missile attacks in the past few months.
The hard-to-intercept weapons reach their target within minutes, making it virtually impossible for locals in Kyiv to reach an underground shelter in time.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said in comments published on Saturday that Kyiv had opened “Pandora’s box” with its strikes on Russian economic targets, saying that Russia would hit back at Ukraine’s “most sensitive economic sectors.”
Ukraine has this summer escalated a campaign of drone strikes targeting Russian economic infrastructure, including oil refineries and online retailers’ warehouses, seeking to destroy infrastructure it says is central to Russia’s war effort.
Russia has responded with strikes against Ukrainian economic infrastructure, including Ukrainian grain exports via the Black Sea.
“The Kyiv regime set out to damage our economy. What did it do? It opened this Pandora’s box itself. Well then, expect a response targeting your most sensitive economic sectors,” Putin said in comments to a Russian state television journalist.
Additional reporting by Reuters
HELD ACCOUNTABLE: A total of 56 people were handed prison sentences, with terms for senior executives ranging from six to 18 years in jail, Xinhua reported China yesterday sentenced the founder of embattled property giant Evergrande to life in prison and fined the group more than US$2 billion for offenses including fraud, five years after a high-profile default. Evergrande Group was once the face of Chinese real estate, surfing a decades-long property boom as it peddled home-ownership dreams. However, its access to credit dramatically narrowed when the government introduced curbs on excessive borrowing and speculation. The company defaulted in 2021 after struggling to repay creditors. A court in southern China fined the firm and its real-estate arm a total of 15.82 billion yuan (US$2.35 billion). It issued a life sentence
TWIN DISASTERS: Authorities are investigating the cause of the stampede in Bihar that killed seven people and the fire at a hotel in West Bengal that also killed seven A deadly stampede yesterday broke out at a Hindu temple in eastern India’s Bihar state, hours after a fire swept through a hotel housing pilgrims in West Bengal state. Seven people were killed and more than a dozen injured in the stampede, while the blaze left at least seven people dead and several others critically injured, police said. The incident in Bihar occurred near Ashok Dham Temple in Lakhisarai District, as thousands of devotees gathered to offer prayers on the third Monday of Shravan. The period, which usually falls between July and August, is dedicated to the worship of Hindu god Lord Shiva
When food safety inspectors raided a Mumbai dessert parlor famed for its ice cream sandwiches last month, they found rats, houseflies and expired flavoring agents. At another beloved restaurant known for slow-cooked mutton and beef stews, they discovered meat stored in filthy containers, greasy floors and open windows that could let in insects and crows. Both eateries were ordered shut in the toughest crackdown in years on restaurants in the megacity of more than 20 million people. Residents of India’s financial capital are fiercely protective of their food culture, but many have welcomed the closure of some of the best-known establishments over
A former adviser at the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) on Tuesday pleaded guilty to conspiring to evade public records laws and conceal government documents related to grant research funding and the COVID-19 pandemic. David Morens, who had worked as a senior official at the institute during the COVID-19 pandemic, entered his plea to a conspiracy charge during a hearing in federal court in Greenbelt, Maryland. The 78-year-old had been indicted in April on charges related to what prosecutors said was a scheme to thwart public records requests received by the agency beginning in April 2020 related to