The wife of jailed former South Korean president Yoon Suk-yeol, former South Korean first lady Kim Keon-hee, and former South Korean prime minister Han Duck-soo were indicted yesterday as part of investigations into Yoon’s administration and his attempt to overcome opposition by declaring martial law.
Yoon set off South Korea’s most serious political crisis in decades when he attempted to force his agenda through an opposition-dominated legislature by declaring martial law on Dec. 3 last year. It lasted only hours, but triggered months of turmoil that paralyzed politics, disrupted the nation’s foreign policy and rattled the economy.
Yoon was impeached, then removed from office in April and rearrested last month after his People Power Party (PPP) lost the presidency in an early election. The new Democratic Party government has appointed three special prosecutors to investigate the period of martial law and suspicions of corruption that dogged Yoon throughout his term in office.
Photo: Reuters
A team led by South Korean Special Prosecutor Min Joong-ki said it charged Kim with contravening financial market and political funding laws and receiving bribes, about two weeks after a court ordered her arrest.
A separate team led by South Korean Special Prosecutor Cho Eun-suk said Han was charged with abetting Yoon’s imposition of martial law, which investigators say amounted to a rebellion, as well as falsifying and destroying official documents, and lying under oath.
Dozens of people have been arrested or investigated over Yoon’s martial law debacle, corruption allegations involving his wife and other controversies from his three years in office, including an alleged cover-up of a marine’s drowning death during a 2023 flood rescue operation.
Key suspects include former South Korean minister of defense Kim Yong-hyun, who has been accused of planning martial law with Yoon and sending troops to the National Assembly in an unsuccessful attempt to block lawmakers from voting to lift it. More than 60 people were separately indicted for rioting at a Seoul court, which issued the warrant for Yoon’s first arrest in January.
Assistant special counsel Park Ji-young told a televised briefing that Han was the highest official who could have blocked Yoon’s attempt to impose martial law. Park said Han still played an “active” role in Yoon’s martial law declaration by trying to get Yoon’s decree passed through a Cabinet Council meeting as a way to give “procedural legitimacy” to it.
Han has maintained that he conveyed to Yoon that he opposed his martial law plan.
Cho’s team earlier requested the Seoul Central District Court to issue a warrant to arrest Han. However, the court on Wednesday dismissed that request, saying it determined that there were little chances that Han would flee or destroy evidence.
While Yoon’s downfall extended a lengthy streak of South Korean presidencies ending badly, he and Kim are the first former presidential couple to be jailed simultaneously over criminal allegations.
Yoon’s surprising, but poorly planned, martial law imposition came amid a seemingly routine standoff with the opposition Democratic Party, and some political opponents have questioned whether Yoon’s actions were at least partly motivated by the allegations against his wife.
Kim and Yoon are suspected of exerting undue influence on the PPP to nominate a favored candidate in a 2022 legislative by-election, allegedly at the request of election broker Myung Tae-kyun. Myung is accused of conducting free opinion surveys for Yoon that used manipulated data, possibly helping him win the party’s presidential primaries before his election as president.
Kim apologized for causing public concern earlier this month, but also hinted she would deny the allegations against her, portraying herself as “someone insignificant.”
In a statement released through her lawyers yesterday, Kim did not make specific comments about her charges, but said the media was reporting suspicions as though they were “confirmed facts” and that she plans to “quietly attend the trials.”
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding
‘DELIBERATE PROVOCATION’: Pyongyang said that Seoul had used a machine gun to fire at North Korean troops who were working to permanently seal the southern border South Korea fired warning shots at North Korean soldiers that briefly crossed the heavily fortified border earlier this week, Seoul said yesterday after Pyongyang accused it of risking “uncontrollable” tensions. South Korean President Lee Jae-myung has sought warmer ties with the nuclear-armed North and vowed to build “military trust,” but Pyongyang has said it has no interest in improving relations with Seoul. Seoul’s military said several North Korean soldiers crossed the border on Tuesday while working in the heavily mined demilitarized zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas. The incursion prompted “our military to fire warning shots,” South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff