Japan is considering offering support for a US$44 billion gas pipeline in Alaska as it seeks to court US President Donald Trump and forestall potential trade friction, three officials familiar with the matter said.
Officials in Tokyo said Trump might raise the project, which he has said is key for US prosperity and security, when he meets Japanese Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba for the first time in Washington as soon as next week, the sources said.
Japan has doubts about the viability of the proposed 1,287km pipeline — intended to link fields in Alaska’s north to a port in the south, where gas would be liquefied and shipped to Asian customers — because of the overall costs of the gas relative to other sources.
Photo: Reuters
Japan is prepared to offer to explore a deal if asked, the officials said.
Tokyo might include such a commitment among other concessions, such as buying more US gas and increasing defense spending and manufacturing investment in the US, to reduce the US$56 billion bilateral trade deficit and stave off the threat of tariffs, one of the people said.
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the meeting.
The Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it was premature to discuss the matter.
Details of Japan’s possible interest in the Alaska project have not been previously reported. The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.
Among the executive orders Trump signed when he took office on Monday last week was one promising to unleash Alaska’s resource potential, “including the sale and transportation of Alaskan LNG [liquefied natural gas] to other regions of the United States and allied nations within the Pacific region.”
Trump has framed the gas project as a win for Alaska and US allies in Asia seeking a stable source of energy, but Japan already has plentiful access to LNG, and its companies traded about 38 million tonnes last year, more than half its domestic consumption. Still, the Alaska pipeline could help Japan diversify supplies away from riskier sources like Russia, which accounts for about one-tenth of its gas imports, and the Middle East.
On Friday, Ishiba told the National Diet that while Japan needed to reduce reliance on fossil fuels, “there are things that we should request from the US in terms of stable energy supply.”
He did not give specifics nor mention the Alaska project.
The officials said that Ishiba would not be able to make firm commitments on LNG, including investing in the Alaska project, when he meets Trump.
Any deal would have to offer reasonable pricing and flexibility, including allowing Japanese buyers to resell LNG they purchase, a fourth official said.
Trump has mooted a range of tariffs on foreign goods, but revealed little about his approach to economic and security ties with Japan since his return to the White House. However, the subject has dominated political discourse in Japan, a key US ally and top foreign investor, which was rattled during Trump’s first term by his tariffs on steel imports and his demands for Tokyo to pay more to host US troops.
Media attention in Tokyo has centered on whether Ishiba, who became prime minister last year and heads a minority government, can replicate the bond that former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe forged with Trump during his first term.
Without such familiarity with Trump’s inner circle, Ishiba’s administration has sought counsel from US lawmakers and policy experts with ties to Japan and Trump. They include US Senator Bill Hagerty, a former US ambassador to Tokyo, and Kenneth Weinstein, the Japan chair at the Hudson Institute, a conservative think tank.
Weinstein said that he had encouraged Tokyo to deepen energy partnerships with Washington and that the Alaska project warranted serious consideration.
Ado Machida, a Tokyo-based businessman who served on Trump’s transition team after his 2016 election victory, said an offer by Japan to buy more LNG and support the Alaska LNG pipeline would be “probably the easiest” way to win over Trump.
“Trump’s going to want to know what Japan will do for him,” said Machida, adding that he had spoken to Japanese government officials about the proposal.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying