Senegal on Sunday commemorated the 80th anniversary of a massacre of African soldiers who fought for France during World War II, and were gunned down by French troops in 1944 for demanding fair treatment and payment on their return.
The West African nation has long demanded its former colonizer take responsibility, officially apologize and properly investigate the massacre that took place in Thiaroye, a fishing village on the outskirts of Senegal’s capital, Dakar.
The event, which renewed those demands, came as France is losing influence over its former African colonies, many of which have turned to Russia for security instead.
Photo: EPA-EFE
“The riflemen sacrificed everything. They gave of their youth, they gave of their blood, they gave of their flesh for freedom and world peace,” Senegalese President Bassirou Diomaye Faye told guests and reporters.
Accounts of the massacre vary, as does the death toll, which former French president Francois Hollande raised to at least 70 from 35 during a visit to Thiaroye in 2014. Historians say hundreds might have died in the confrontation with colonial authorities.
The ceremony, which French Minister of Europe and Foreign Affairs Jean-Noel Barrot attended alongside other African heads of state, started with a visit to the Thiaroye military cemetery to lay flowers.
A printed guide to the ceremony described the “horrific repression” of members of the Senegalese infantry unit, who were surrounded and gunned down for requesting due compensation.
A few days before the commemoration, French President Emmanuel Macron wrote a public letter to his Senegalese counterpart in which he referred to the killings as a “massacre.”
Faye said Macron’s acknowledgement was a significant step in the process of rehabilitating the honor and dignity of the victims.
Barrot said in a speech that his nation had recognized that on that day, “a chain of events was set in motion that led to a massacre.”
Gaspard Mbaye, head of an association dedicated to the soldiers’ memory, said that he was disappointed because he expected more from the French government.
“They continue to conceal the truth and try to divert attention,” Mbaye said.
Heavy rain and strong winds yesterday disrupted flights, trains and ferries, forcing the closure of roads across large parts of New Zealand’s North Island, while snapping power links to tens of thousands. Domestic media reported a few flights had resumed operating by afternoon from the airport in Wellington, the capital, although cancelations were still widespread after airport authorities said most morning flights were disrupted. Air New Zealand said it hoped to resume services when conditions ease later yesterday, after it paused operations at Wellington, Napier and Palmerston North airports. Online images showed flooded semi-rural neighborhoods, inundated homes, trees fallen on vehicles and collapsed
‘COST OF DEFECTION’: Duterte’s announcement could be an effort to keep allies in line with the promise of a return to power amid political uncertainty, an analyst said Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte yesterday announced she would run for president of the Southeast Asian nation of 116 million in 2028. Duterte, who is embroiled in a bitter feud with Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, was impeached last year only to see the country’s Supreme Court throw the case out over procedural issues. Her announcement comes just days before her father, former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte, begins a pretrial hearing at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in the Netherlands over crimes against humanity allegedly committed as part of a brutal crackdown on drugs. “I offer my life, my strength and my future
NOT YET THERE: While the show was impressive, it failed to demonstrate their ability to move in unstructured environments, such as a factory floor, an expert said Dancing humanoid robots on Monday took center stage during the annual China Media Group’s Spring Festival Gala, China’s most-watched official television broadcast. They lunged and backflipped (landing on their knees), they spun around and jumped. Not one fell over. The display was impressive, but if robots can now dance and perform martial arts, what else can they do? Experts have mixed opinions, with some saying the robots had limitations and that the display should be viewed through a lens of state propaganda. Developed by several Chinese robotics firms, the robots performed a range of intricate stunts, including martial arts, comedy sketches and choreographed
POST-UPRISING: Bangladesh Nationalist Party lawmakers were yesterday expected to formally elect Tarique Rahman as their leader and new head of government Bangladesh’s prime minister-to-be Tarique Rahman and lawmakers were yesterday sworn into parliament, becoming the first elected representatives since a deadly 2024 uprising. Rahman is set to take over from an interim government that has steered the country of 170 million people for 18 months since the autocratic government of Sheikh Hasina was overthrown. The lawmakers, who promised loyalty to Bangladesh, were sworn in by Chief Election Commissioner AMM Nasir Uddin. Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) lawmakers are expected to formally elect Rahman as their leader, with President Mohammed Shahabuddin then to administer the oath of office to the prime minister and his ministers