Fans of Taylor Swift, politicians and the White House on Friday expressed outrage at artificial intelligence (AI)-generated fake pornographic images of the megastar that went viral on X and were still available on other platforms.
One image of the US singer was seen 47 million times on X, formerly Twitter, before it was removed on Thursday. US media reported that the post was live on the platform for about 17 hours.
“It is alarming,” White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said.
Photo: Reuters
“Sadly we know that lack of enforcement [by social media platforms] disproportionately impacts women and they also impact girls who are the overwhelming targets of online harassment,” Jean-Pierre said.
“Deepfake” porn images of celebrities are not new, but activists and regulators are worried that easy-to-use tools employing generative AI would create an uncontrollable flood of toxic or harmful content.
Noncelebrities are also victims with increasing reports of young women and teens being harassed on social media with sexually explicit deepfakes that are more and more realistic and easy to manufacture.
The targeting of Swift, the second most listened-to artist in the world on Spotify (narrowly after Canadian rapper Drake), could shine a new light on the phenomenon with her legions of fans outraged at the development.
Last year, Swift used her fame to urge her 280 million Instagram followers to vote.
Her fans also pushed the US Congress to hold hearings about Ticketmaster when the company bungled the sale of their hero’s concert tickets in late 2022.
“The only ‘silver lining’ about it happening to Taylor Swift is that she likely has enough power to get legislation passed to eliminate it. You people are sick,” influencer Danisha Carter wrote on X.
X is one of the biggest platforms for porn content in the world, as its policies on nudity are looser than Meta-owned platforms Facebook or Instagram, analysts say.
This has been tolerated by Apple and Google, the gatekeepers for online content through the guidelines they set for their app stores on iPhones and Android smartphones.
In a statement, X said that posting nonconsensual nudity is strictly prohibited, and “we have a zero-tolerance policy towards such content.”
The Elon Musk-owned platform said that it was “actively removing all identified images and taking appropriate actions against the accounts responsible for posting them.”
However, images continued to be available and shared on Telegram.
Swift’s representatives did not respond to a request for comment.
The star has also been the subject of right-wing conspiracy theories and even fake videos where she is falsely shown to be promoting high-priced cookware from France.
“What’s happened to Taylor Swift is nothing new. For years, women have been targets of deepfakes without their consent,” said Yvette Clarke, a Democratic congresswoman from New York who has backed legislation to fight deepfake porn.
“And with advancements in AI, creating deepfakes is easier and cheaper,” she added.
Meanwhile, the estate of George Carlin on Thursday filed a federal suit in Los Angeles asking that a judge order the podcast outlet Dudesy to immediately take down an hour-long audio special, George Carlin: I’m Glad I’m Dead, in which a synthesis of Carlin delivers commentary on current events.
Carlin died in 2008.
Carlin’s daughter, Kelly Carlin, said in a statement that the work is “a poorly executed facsimile cobbled together by unscrupulous individuals to capitalize on the extraordinary goodwill my father established with his adoring fanbase.”
The lawsuit is among the first in what is likely to be an increasing number of major legal moves made to fight the regenerated use of celebrity images and likenesses.
Josh Schiller, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said in a statement that the “case is not just about AI, it’s about the humans that use AI to violate the law, infringe on intellectual property rights, and flout common decency.”
Additional reporting by AP
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver