Hospital doctors in England yesterday began their longest consecutive strike in the seven-decade history of the UK’s National Health Service (NHS).
Junior doctors — those below consultant level — started a six-day walkout, in a major escalation of their long-running pay dispute with the British government.
The industrial action comes at one of the busiest times of the year for the state-funded NHS, when it faces increased pressure from winter respiratory illnesses. It also quickly follows a three-day strike held by doctors just before Christmas.
Photo: AP
The NHS said the latest stoppage, which could see up to half of the medical workforce on picket lines, would have “a significant impact on almost all routine care.”
“This January could be one of the most difficult starts to the year the NHS has ever faced,” NHS Medical Director Stephen Powis said.
The strike is due to end on Tuesday next week.
The British Medical Association last month announced the walkout after a breakdown in talks with the government.
The union said that junior doctors have been offered a 3 percent rise on top of the average 8.8 percent increase they were given earlier this year.
It rejected the offer because the cash would be split unevenly across doctor grades and would “still amount to pay cuts for many doctors.”
Junior doctors have gone on strike at least seven times since March last year.
British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and hospital leaders have criticized the action.
Health policy is a devolved matter for the administrations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, with the British government overseeing England.
Junior doctors in Wales are due to walk out for 72 hours from Jan. 15. Those in Northern Ireland have voted for a potential strike, while their Scottish counterparts have struck a deal with the government in Edinburgh.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding