One month since Sudan’s conflict erupted, its capital is a desolate war zone where terrorized families huddle in their homes as gun battles rage in the dusty, deserted streets outside.
Across Khartoum, those still alive remain barricaded, hoping to dodge stray bullets and enduring desperate shortages of food and basic supplies.
There are power blackouts, a lack of cash, communications outages and runaway inflation.
Photo: Reuters
The city of 5 million on the Nile River was long a place of relative stability and wealth, even under decades of sanctions against former Sudanese president Omar al-Bashir.
Now it has become a shell of its former self.
Charred aircraft lie on the airport tarmac, foreign embassies are shuttered, and hospitals, banks, shops and wheat silos have been ransacked by looters.
While the generals fight, what remains of the government has retreated to Port Sudan 850km away, the hub for mass evacuations of Sudanese and foreign citizens.
The battles have killed more than 750 people, according to the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project. Thousands more have been wounded and nearly 1 million people displaced, with long refugee convoys headed to Egypt, Ethiopia, Chad and South Sudan. Some food prices have quadrupled, and gasoline sells at 20 times its pre-war price.
Multiple truce deals have been agreed and quickly violated, and hopes are dim for an end to the fighting, which has piled more suffering on the 45 million people of one of the world’s poorest countries.
Both sides “break ceasefires with a regularity that demonstrates a sense of impunity unprecedented even by Sudan’s standards of civil conflict,” said Alex Rondos, the EU’s former special representative to the Horn of Africa.
Sudan has a long history of coups, but hopes had risen after mass pro-democracy protests led to the ouster of al-Bashir in 2019, followed by a shaky transition toward civilian rule.
As Washington and other foreign powers lifted sanctions, Sudan was slowly reintegrating into the international community, before the generals derailed that transition with another coup in 2021.
On April 15, tensions over the integration of paramilitaries into the army exploded into war between army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and his former deputy, Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, who leads the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces.
Despite all the bullets, aerial bombardments and anti-aircraft fire since then, neither side has been able to seize the battlefield advantage.
The army, backed by Egypt, has the theoretical advantage of air power while Daglo is, experts said, supported by the United Arab Emirates and foreign fighters.
He commands troops that stemmed from the notorious Janjaweed militia, accused of atrocities in the Darfur war that began two decades ago.
Russian mercenary group Wagner is not fighting, but has “technical advisers” in Sudan, said Cameron Hudson of the US Center for Strategic and International Studies.
For now, “both sides believe that they can win militarily,” US Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines told a Senate hearing early this month.
The fighting has deepened the humanitarian crisis in Sudan, where one in three people already relied on humanitarian assistance before the war.
Since then, aid agencies have been looted and at least 18 humanitarian workers killed. In six months, up to 19 million people could be food insecure, the UN said.
Across the Red Sea, in the Saudi city of Jeddah, envoys from both sides have been negotiating.
On Thursday last week, they signed a commitment to respect humanitarian principles, including the protection of civilians and, in general terms, a commitment to let in badly needed humanitarian aid.
However, “absent a significant change of mindset from the warring parties, it is hard to see that commitments on paper will be fulfilled,” said Aly Verjee, a Sudan researcher at Sweden’s University of Gothenburg.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver