The Philippine government said yesterday it intended to appeal an International Criminal Court (ICC) decision to reopen an inquiry into Manila’s brutal anti-drug campaign, which left thousands dead.
The Hague-based tribunal launched the inquiry in 2019, but suspended it later that year at the request of the government of then-Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte, who had launched the crackdown in 2016, with Manila saying it would re-examine cases of alleged abuses.
Announcing the probe’s resumption on Thursday, the ICC said its pre-trial chamber was “not satisfied that the Philippines is undertaking relevant investigations that would warrant a deferral of the court’s investigations.”
“It is our intention to exhaust our legal remedies, more particularly elevating the matter to the ICC appeals chamber,” Solicitor General of the Philippines Menardo Guevarra said.
Officially, 6,181 people were killed in Duterte’s “war on drugs,” but rights groups said that up to 30,000 might have been killed, some innocent victims, and that corruption was rife among security forces that acted with impunity.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, who was elected in a landslide last year, has vowed to continue the drug war, but with a focus on prevention and rehabilitation. He has ruled out reversing Duterte’s decision to pull the Philippines out of the ICC.
“We wish to emphasize that our own domestic investigative and judicial processes should take precedence” over the ICC, Guevarra said.
“We can show that despite structural and resource limitations in our legal system, it is still a well-functioning system that yields positive results in its own time,” Guevarra added.
However, rights groups welcomed the ICC announcement, and allege the killings are continuing under Marcos.
“This is indeed very welcome news coming as it does in the midst of continuing impunity, selective memory and orchestrated denial by the past and present governments,” National Union of People’s Lawyers chairman Edre Olalia said.
The group represents some of the dead suspects’ families in a handful of cases being tried in Philippine courts against police officers.
Olalia said the ICC announcement “validates” the assertions of the slain suspects’ kin that “there are no adequate and effective measures to achieve concrete justice for them on the ground ... despite official claims to the contrary.”
Only three police officers have been convicted of unlawful drug-war killings, while another police officer was jailed in November last year for planting evidence and torturing two teenagers killed at the height of the crackdown.
“The ICC investigation in the Philippines is the only credible avenue for justice for the victims and their families of former president Rodrigo Duterte’s murderous ‘war on drugs,’” Human Rights Watch Asia deputy director Phil Robertson said in a statement.
Renato Reyes, a senior leader of the left-wing group Bagong Alyansang Makabayan — also known as the New Nationalist Alliance — urged Marcos in a statement to cooperate with the ICC probe “so that justice can be rendered to the thousands of victims of Duterte’s failed drug war.”
The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) removed former minister of foreign affairs Qin Gang (秦剛) from his post after an investigation concluded that he had conducted an affair and fathered a child while serving as ambassador to the US, the Wall Street Journal reported. Top officials were told in August that a CCP inquiry into Qin uncovered “lifestyle issues,” the newspaper reported yesterday, citing people familiar with the situation that it did not describe. That phrase usually means sexual misbehavior of some type in the parlance of Chinese officialdom. Two of the people said the affair led to the birth of a child in
GUNNED DOWN: The Canadian PM said there were credible allegations that India was connected to the assassination of Hardeep Singh Nijjar in Surrey on June 18 India yesterday dismissed allegations that its government was linked to the killing of a Sikh activist in Canada as “absurd,” expelling a senior Canadian diplomat and accusing Canada of interfering in India’s internal affairs. It came a day after Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau described what he called credible allegations that India was connected to the assassination of Hardeep Singh Nijjar, an advocate of Sikh independence from India who was gunned down on June 18 outside a Sikh cultural center in Surrey, British Columbia, and Canada expelled a top Indian diplomat. “Any involvement of a foreign government in the killing of a
LOST BATTLE: The Varroa mite, which Canberra has called the ‘most serious pest’ to face bees, would cause serious economic damage, an ecologist said Australia yesterday abandoned its fight to eradicate the destructive Varroa mite, an invasive parasite responsible for the collapse of honeybee populations across the planet. Desperate to keep Varroa out of the country, authorities have destroyed more than 14,000 infected beehives since the tiny red-brown pest was first detected north of Sydney in June last year. The government said its US$64 million eradication plan could not stop the mite from spreading, and the country’s beekeepers should now prepare to live with the incursion. “The recent spike in new detections have made it clear that the Varroa mite infestation is more widespread and has
COP28 AGENDA: Beijing’s climate envoy said that China was open to negotiating a global renewable energy target as long as it took economic conditions into account The complete phasing-out of fossil fuels is not realistic, China’s top climate official said on Thursday, adding that such fuels must continue to play a vital role in maintaining global energy security. Chinese Special Envoy on Climate Change Xie Zhenhua (解振華) was responding to comments by ambassadors at a forum in Beijing ahead of the UN’s COP28 climate meeting in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, in November. Reporters obtained a copy of text of Xie’s speech and a video recording of the meeting. Countries are under pressure to make more ambitious climate pledges after a UN-led global “stocktake” said that 20 gigatonnes of additional