The Philippines’ top prison official, who is accused of plotting the killing of a radio journalist, also ordered a large hole dug at the country’s main prison to search for rumored buried treasure, the justice secretary said on Friday.
Philippine Bureau of Corrections Director General Gerald Bantag has faced a series of unusual allegations since being suspended last month, including the breeding of horses and snakes at the overcrowded prison complex at the southern fringe of metropolitan Manila, and neglect resulting in the bodies of 176 prisoners piling up at a funeral home.
Following Bantag’s suspension, authorities discovered a huge pit dug by backhoes in the prison complex in Muntinlupa city with what appeared to be a shallow tunnel at the bottom.
Bantag told reporters he ordered the hole dug as part of a plan to build an extra-deep swimming pool to train prison personnel in scuba diving. The workers could then be used as rescuers in times of flooding and storms, he said.
However, Philippine Secretary of Justice Jesus Crispin Remulla said Bantag told him a few months ago that the excavation was part of a search for a fabled treasure supposedly buried by Japanese occupation forces under general Tomoyuki Yamashita during World War II.
“I told him to stop it. It’s ridiculous,” Remulla told reporters, adding that the digging was a waste of government time and money. “He’s not there to seek treasure, you’re there to run the corrections department.”
Remulla said he did not know whether any treasure was found and would launch an inquiry into the excavation, which has been halted, to determine if any law had been breached.
Bantag was suspended by Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr last month amid an investigation into the death of an imprisoned gangster, Jun Villamor, whom a confessed gunman identified as the person who asked him to kill radio commentator Percival Mabasa on Oct. 3 for 550,000 pesos (US$9,614).
Three imprisoned gang leaders later told investigators they were ordered to kill Villamor by suffocating him with a plastic bag in prison so he would not identify the mastermind of Mabasa’s killing, officials said.
A man on a motorcycle fatally shot Mabasa as he was driving to a residential village. Mabasa had fiercely criticized Bantag and former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte, who appointed Bantag, for alleged irregularities.
Criminal complaints have been filed against Bantag and a prison security official, along with Mabasa’s confessed killer and the three gang leaders accused of killing Villamor in prison. Bantag has denied any involvement in the killings of Mabasa and Villamor, and accused Remulla of fabricating criminal complaints against him.
When investigators went to a funeral home near the Muntinglupa prison to check on Villamor’s remains, they reported discovering 176 unclaimed bodies of inmates who had been listed as having died of various illnesses such as tuberculosis, kidney failure and heart disease while Bantag was the prison chief.
Authorities have buried 10 of the bodies, but are preparing to conduct autopsies on many others to confirm the causes of their deaths, Remulla said.
India yesterday summoned Canada’s high commissioner in India to “convey strong concern” over Sikh protesters in Canada and how they were allowed to breach the security of India’s diplomatic mission and consulates. Canadian media reported that hundreds of protesters gathered in front of the Indian consulate in Vancouver on Saturday over demands for an independent Sikh state, a simmering issue for decades that was triggered again in the past few weeks. Canada has the highest population of Sikhs outside their home state of Punjab in India. “It is expected that the Canadian government will take all steps which are required to ensure the
CONFLICTING ACCOUNTS: The US destroyer’s routine operations in the South China Sea would have ‘serious consequences,’ the defense ministry said China yesterday threatened “serious consequences” after the US Navy sailed a destroyer around the disputed Paracel Islands (Xisha Islands, 西沙群島) in the South China Sea for the second day in a row, in a move Beijing claimed was a breach of its sovereignty and security. The warning came amid growing tensions between China and the US in the region, as Washington pushes back at Beijing’s growingly assertive posture in the South China Sea, a strategic waterway it claims virtually in its entirety. On Thursday, after the US sailed the USS Milius guided-missile destroyer near the Paracel Islands, China said its navy and
The US Department of Justice on Friday unveiled spying charges against a Russian who, under a Brazilian alias, studied at a Washington university and then tried to join the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague. The indictment of Sergey Vladimirovich Cherkasov said it would try to contest his extradition to Russia from Brazil, where he is jailed on identity fraud charges. Cherkasov, 39, was detained at the beginning of April last year by Dutch authorities for using fake identity papers. He arrived in the country as Viktor Muller Ferreira, a Brazilian, to take a position at the ICC as a junior analyst. The
The US military must be ready for possible confrontation with China, US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin said on Thursday, pushing the US Congress to approve the Pentagon’s proposed US$842 billion budget, which would modernize the force in Asia and around the world. “This is a strategy-driven budget — and one driven by the seriousness of our strategic competition with the People’s Republic of China,” Austin told the US House of Representations Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense. Pointing to increases in new technology, such as hypersonics, Austin said the budget proposes to spend more than US$9 billion, a 40 percent increase over last