A Chinese government-owned company has signed on to build a theme park in a vast development in Indonesia that also features a Trump hotel and condos, a deal that stands to benefit US President Donald Trump’s company just as top Chinese envoys head to Washington for trade talks.
In a move that has alarmed Trump critics, an Indonesian company confirmed this week that it hired the subsidiary of state-owned Metallurgical Corp of China to build a theme park in its Lido City development outside Jakarta.
The property owner three years earlier struck a deal for the development to include a Trump-branded hotel, 400 luxury villas and condos, and an 18-hole championship golf course.
Even though Trump’s involvement in the project predated his election, ethics experts say it is still trouble for the president, possibly putting him in violation of the emoluments clause of the US constitution, which bans gifts from foreign governments.
“This clearly benefits the Trump Organization, and therefore its owner Donald Trump,” said Harvard Law professor Laurence Tribe, who is advising on several lawsuits against the president.
He added that it is irrelevant if the benefit came “indirectly” from China through the Indonesian company.
MNC Land, the Indonesian company that is developing the park, is owned by billionaire Hary Tanoesoedibjo, who attended Trump’s inauguration last year.
In a statement, MNC Land said the Trump Organization has “no relationship” with the theme park that the Chinese company is building. It also said that news reports that a Chinese government-backed US$500 million loan for the project had been signed were false.
White House officials steered clear of talk of Chinese backing for the project, dismissing the belief that it could violate the emoluments clause or the Trump Organization’s pledge to refrain from new foreign business while the president was in office.
Staffers pointed to an answer on Monday from White House deputy press secretary Raj Shah, who referred all questions to the president’s business. The Trump Organization declined to comment.
The deal also raised questions about possible links between the investment and the president’s seemingly out-of-the-blue tweet on Sunday in which he called for Chinese telecommunications company ZTE to “get back into business, fast” because “too many jobs in China” had been lost, a call to help that seemed a stark departure from Trump’s “America First” foreign policy.
Just last month, the Trump administration ordered a seven-year halt in US shipments of computer microchips and software that are at the heart of most of ZTE’s telecommunications gear. The US Department Commerce of accused ZTE of violating US sanctions by selling to Iran and North Korea.
ZTE cellphones had also been banned from US military bases earlier this year over fears they could pose a security threat.
White House officials denied any connection between the company and the Indonesia project.
Instead, they framed the tweet as a call to protect US jobs — many of the ZTE components are made in the US — and placed it in the context of ongoing negotiations about trade between the two nations.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver