Saying they felt a “deep sense of ethical responsibility for a past tragedy,” executives from a major Japanese corporation on Sunday gave an unprecedented apology to a 94-year-old former US prisoner of war (POW) for using US captives for forced labor during World War II.
At the ceremony hosted by the Museum of Tolerance at the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles, James Murphy of Santa Maria, California, accepted the apology from Mitsubishi Materials Corp executives that he had sought for 70 years on behalf of US POWs.
Mitsubishi Materials senior executive officer Hikaru Kimura said through a translator that the company offered a “most remorseful apology” to the about 900 POWs who suffered “harsh, severe hardships” while laboring at Mitsubishi mines and industrial plants.
Photo: AP
Murphy, who toiled in Mitsubishi copper mines and is one of the few left alive to accept such an apology, called it sincere, humble and revealing.
“This is a glorious day,” said Murphy, who stood tall and slender in a gray suit at the ceremony. “For 70 years, we wanted this.”
Murphy stood and shook hands with Kimura and others as cameras clicked throughout the museum theater, with giant US and Japanese flags projected side-by-side behind them.
Other POWs subjected to forced labor sat in the audience along with many members of Murphy’s family.
Stanley Gibson, whose late father worked alongside Murphy in the mines, flew from Scotland to Los Angeles for the ceremony to represent his family after hearing about it in news reports just a few days earlier. On the stage was a photo of the two men being liberated from their captors.
The Japanese government has twice apologized to US POWs used as forced laborers during World War II.
However, Rabbi Abraham Cooper, an associate dean at the center whose primary focus in the past has been Holocaust education, said he and the event’s other organizers believe the apology is unprecedented from a major Japanese company.
Cooper, Murphy and others who spoke urged more Japanese companies to come forward to express their remorse.
The ceremony was preceded by a private apology that ended with a long, deep bow from the Mitsubishi representatives.
“I entered the room with a heavy heart, seeking forgiveness,” Mitsubishi outside board member Yukio Okamoto said.
Murphy said that after 70 years it was “the first time we’ve heard those words. They touch the heart.”
Murphy was gracious and beaming throughout the ceremony, expressing little bitterness or sorrow on what he called a happy day. He stressed that the apology was not half-hearted, qualified or self-aggrandizing for Mitsubishi.
Murphy said the apology “admits to wrongdoing, makes sincere statement showing deep remorse,” and offers assurances that the wrongs will never be repeated.
“I know that we can trust those words,” he said.
Others, including one Mitsubishi representative, struck a sadder tone over how long the apology took.
“We also have to apologize for not apologizing earlier,” Okamoto said.
Japan’s government issued a formal apology to US POWs in 2009 and again in 2010. However, the dwindling ranks of POWs used as slaves at mines and industrial plants have so far had little luck in getting apologies from the corporations who used them, sometimes under brutal conditions.
About 12,000 US prisoners were shipped to Japan and forced to work at more than 50 sites to support imperial Japan’s war effort, and about 10 percent of them died, said US-Japan Dialogue on POWs director Kinue Tokudome, who has spearheaded the lobbying effort for companies to apologize.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but