Last-ditch talks between Burundi’s government and opposition aimed at resolving a major political crisis over Burundian President Pierre Nkurunziza’s controversial bid for re-election appeared to be headed for failure on Saturday, sources close to the negotiations said.
The closed-door talks, mediated by regional power Uganda, began earlier in the day, but quickly descended into an acrimonious exchange with no sign of any consensus on how to end months of turmoil in the central African nation.
Presidential elections are due to take place in the impoverished country tomorrow, and the opposition looks poised to boycott the polls altogether — leaving Nkurunziza headed for certain victory, but the country violently divided.
The crisis began in April when Nkurunziza announced his intention to stand for a third consecutive five-year term, despite a constitutional two-term limit, sparking months of street protests and a failed coup in mid-May.
Opposition groups say another term would also violate a peace deal that paved the way to end a dozen years of civil war in 2006.
During Saturday’s talks, sources said the government side accused the opposition of siding with the coup plotters, who in recent weeks have revived their attempt to overthrow the president by launching armed rebel operations in the north.
The opposition in turn accused the government of being unwilling to negotiate.
“This is subterfuge. They are just avoiding any talk on the electoral calendar,” an anti-Nkurunziza source close to the talks said.
Burundi’s main opposition leader, Agathon Rwasa, also accused the government of using “delaying tactics just to stay in power.”
Three out of the eight presidential candidates have already pulled out of the race, according to an open letter addressed to Burundi’s election commission.
There are fears the current crisis could plunge the country, which has a history of ethnic and political violence, back into war — adding another major crisis to the already unstable Great Lakes region.
More than 150,000 people have fled the country because of the unrest, which has included a fierce government crackdown on demonstrations that left at least 100 dead.
The country has been left without most of its independent media outlets, after several radio stations were attacked and destroyed in fighting during the attempted coup.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver