Former Chadian president Hissene Habre is to make history today when he is tried in Senegal over his regime’s brutality — the first time a despot from one African country has been called to account by another.
Once dubbed Africa’s Pinochet, the 72-year-old has been in custody in Senegal since his arrest in June 2013 at the home he shared with his wife and children.
Rights groups say 40,000 people were killed during his eight years in power under a regime marked by fierce repression of his opponents and the targeting of rival ethnic groups.
Photo: Reuters
Habre, who held power between 1982 and 1990, is charged with crimes against humanity, war crimes and torture. He is to be tried by the Extraordinary African Chambers, a special court established by the African Union under an agreement with Senegal. The court is led by a judge from Burkina Faso.
Delayed for years by Senegal, where Habre has lived since being ousted in 1990, the hearings are to set a historic precedent as until now African leaders accused of atrocities have been tried in international courts.
They come at a time when relations between African Union (AU) members and the International Criminal Court (ICC) are at an all-time low, a month after Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir’s escape from an international arrest warrant in South Africa. The AU has accused the ICC of targeting only African leaders, highlighting that major powers such as Russia, China and the US have refused to place themselves under The Hague-based court’s jurisdiction.
“It’s one thing for African presidents or African leaders to complain about abusive African leaders being sent to The Hague. It’s another to show they can be tried in Africa,” said US lawyer Reed Brody, the lead investigator for Human Rights Watch in the case. “This is a test case, in a way, for African justice.”
Habre refuses to recognize the legitimacy of the court and has decided not to cooperate with the hearings, one of his lawyers, Ibrahima Diawara, said on Thursday.
“Appearing in a trial is a right, not an obligation,” Diawara said, adding that his client’s health had been improving after a heart attack in June, but that he would not appear and had instructed his lawyers not to take part.
Chief prosecutor Mbacke Fall says his team have heard from almost 2,500 victims and 60 witnesses since the opening of the investigation against Habre in July 2013.
More than 4,000 direct or indirect victims have been registered as civil parties to the case and the court is scheduled to hear from 100 witnesses over three months.
The nine million euro (US$9.8 million) trial is to be filmed and released offline, according to Fall.
If Habre is convicted, he can expect anything from 30 years to life with hard labor, to be served in Senegal or another African Union country. After sentencing a second phase of the hearings would rule on civil compensation claims.
Assane Dioma Ndiaye, a lawyer for the civil parties, described the case as historic and underlined the huge expectations of the victims.
“There could have been no impunity in this case,” he said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver