The Confederate battle flag was temporarily removed from the front of the South Carolina Statehouse on Saturday when a woman climbed the flagpole and — despite calls by police to get down — removed the banner.
Calls for removing the flag have been renewed since nine black churchgoers were killed in what police characterized as a racist attack at a Charleston, South Carolina, church earlier this month.
Bree Newsome, 30, of Charlotte, North Carolina, was about halfway up the more than 9m steel flagpole just after dawn on Saturday when officers of the South Carolina Bureau of Protective Services ran to the flagpole and told her to get down. Instead, she continued climbing to the top and removed the flag.
Photo: Reuters
She and a man who had climbed over a 1.2m wrought-iron fence to get to the flag were arrested.
The flag, which is protected by state law, was raised about 45 minutes later, well ahead of a rally later on Saturday by supporters of keeping the flag where it is. The flag was carried by troops supporting the secessionist, pro-slavery southern states during the American Civil War from 1861 to 1865.
South Carolina Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Sherri Iacobelli said Newsome and James Ian Tyson, 30, also of Charlotte, were charged with defacing monuments on state Capitol grounds, a misdemeanor that carries a fine of up to US$5,000 and a prison term of up to three years or both.
A staff member at the Alvin Glenn Detention Center where the two were taken said she did not know whether they had attorneys. About the time of her arrest, Newsome released an e-mail statement to reporters.
“We removed the flag today because we cannot wait any longer. We cannot continue like this another day,” it said. “It is time for a new chapter where we are sincere about dismantling white supremacy and building toward true racial justice and equality.”
Later on Saturday, about 50 people who support keeping the flag held a rally at the statehouse. Many were waving Confederate battle flags as they shouted: “Heritage, not hate.”
“This is not a flag of hate. It is a flag of heritage and we have a right to our heritage,” Leland Browder of Greenville said. “And, you know, I am from the south and proud of the south and, you know, proud of this flag.”
Supporters also said that voters should decide the fate of the flag and shouted: “Let the People Vote.”
A similar rally was held on Saturday outside the Alabama State Capitol in Montgomery, after Alabama Governor Robert Bentley, a Republican, acted by executive order to take down Civil War era flags outside the building.
South Carolina legislators on Tuesday took the initial steps toward removing the Confederate battle flag from statehouse grounds by agreeing to allow discussion of the matter during the legislative session.
The agreement came a day after Republican South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley reversed course and called for the divisive symbol to come down.
The flag has flown in front of the state capitol for 15 years after being moved from atop the statehouse dome.
The US’ National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), a leading civil rights organization, praised Newsome for her actions and called on authorities to treat her with leniency.
“Prosecutors should treat Ms Newsome with the same large-hearted measure of justice that inspired her actions,” NAACP president Cornell William Brooks said in an e-mailed statement. “The NAACP stands with our youth and behind the multigenerational band of activists fighting the substance and symbols of bigotry, hatred and intolerance.”
However, some state legislators worried that Newsome’s actions would hurt efforts to bring the flag down permanently.
“There are 2 ways the Confederate Flag can be removed forever. Citizens please engage legally or we lose!” South Carolina State Senator Marlon Kimpson of Charleston, a Democrat, said on Twitter.
In another tweet, Republican South Carolina State Senator Shane Massey of Edgefield said such actions” will make this discussion much more difficult.”
Both legislators favor bringing down the flag.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver