French construction giant Vinci vigorously denied allegations it had violated the rights of migrant workers helping to build stadiums for the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar and said it would sue the human rights group Sherpa over its claims.
Paris-based Sherpa said it had asked the public prosecutor of Nanterre, a suburb of Paris, to investigate its findings that Vinci’s Construction Grand Projects division and the managers of its 49 percent-owned Qatari unit QDVC were involved in “forced labor” and “keeping people in servitude.”
Vinci, which employs 3,500 people in Qatar and counts the wealthy Arab state as its second-largest shareholder, said it would sue Sherpa for libel and that the claims “severely” hurt its image.
Photo: AFP
The remaining 51 percent of QDVC belongs to Qatari Diar, an arm of the Qatar Investment Authority (QIA), which holds a 5.3 percent stake in Vinci. QIA declined to comment.
Sherpa executive director Laetitia Liebert told French newspaper Le Parisien in an interview that one of the financial crime-focused organization’s lawyers traveled to Qatar and found that migrants worked 66 hours per week and had their passports confiscated.
“Vinci absolutely denies the claims made by Sherpa. The group respects local labor laws and fundamental rights in Qatar as well as in all the nations where it operates,” a Vinci spokesman said by telephone.
“In Qatar, each QDVC collaborator has free access to his passport while work and rest times are strictly respected,” he added.
Allegations of forced labor in Qatar come up frequently.
Sherpa wants France to pass legislation forcing big international groups to be “vigilant” about human rights violations made by their units or suppliers operating abroad, Liebert said.
Vinci noted that it belonged to the UN’s Global Compact under which companies agree to the organization’s 10 principles regarding human rights, labor, environment and anti-corruption.
French MEDEF employers association head Pierre Gattaz said any effort along the lines proposed by Sherpa should be an international one.
“All countries must fight so that the situation improves everywhere in the world,” Gattaz told Europe 1 radio station.
According to the second annual Global Slavery Index released last year by the Walk Free Foundation, an Australian-based human rights group, 29,400 people, or 1.4 percent of Qatar’s population, are estimated to be working as slaves, in forced labor or domestic servitude.
Qatar’s authorities have denied these claims and dismissed them as a campaign against the first Gulf nation to host a soccer World Cup. Qatar has also said none of the workers employed for World Cup projects have been exploited.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but