Volcanic eruptions, landslides, earthquakes and cyclones: 76-year-old Lik Simelum from Vanuatu has survived them all.
He lives in a country that’s ranked by the UN University as the world’s most at-risk for natural disasters. However, his story is remarkable even in an archipelago that has grown familiar with nature’s fury. It is also filled with sadness: His father and youngest brother were both killed by a landslide.
Simelum survived yet another disaster this month when Cyclone Pam ripped through the South Pacific archipelago, destroying thousands of homes and killing at least 17 people. Simelum’s outdoor kitchen was blasted to pieces and he had to sweep the water from his home from flooding, but he does not seem too worried about all that.
BENBOW VOLCANO
Simelum’s story begins when he was just 11, living on the island of Ambryn, located in central Vanuatu. In December 1950, violent tremors began on the Benbow volcano, which then turned into a major series of eruptions that lasted for almost a year.
“I was frightened,” he said. “Sometimes during the day there would be a lot of ash going up and blocking the sun.”
He said on those days his family would eat lunch with a lamp, because it was so dark.
“There was ash on all the trees and the bushes,” he said. “Sometimes you could only see the whites of people’s eyes, they were black with ash all over.”
The ash affected everything, he said, killing crops and contaminating the family’s well water. So the joint French and British government evacuated much of Ambryn, relocating his family to Epi Island.
SWEPT AWAY
He said the family was in Epi only a matter of weeks when a ferocious cyclone struck, just before Christmas 1951. News reports at the time indicate the winds sunk four ships and killed an unknown number of people.
Simelum said the rains were so heavy they triggered landslides. One roared through his home in the middle of the night, killing his father and his brother.
“It carried them away,” he said.
His mother survived by clinging to the rafters of their home, he said, although she broke her back. Simelum had been sleeping elsewhere that night, after his family had moved him for his own safety. He said his two sisters, who live near him now, were living on other islands at the time.
He said his mother was taken to a hospital in Port Vila and the two of them were relocated from Epi for a second time, to a village on the main island of Efate, in the house where he still lives today.
He said he worked first as a teacher, and later as a district education officer. His mother, he said, died peacefully from conditions related to her age.
In 1987, Cyclone Uma struck. It lifted the verandah from the home and flung it about 25m, he said. It also caused flooding and filled the home with mud.
Then in October 2009, a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake hit Vanuatu. Simelum said he ran outside during the shaking.
“It was strong,” he said.
His low-lying village soon got the news: It was about to be wiped out by a tsunami triggered by the quake. So he and the others left, leaving everything behind, and ran up a nearby hill. However, the tsunami never eventuated and they were able to return.
Life was relatively peaceful for a few years until Cyclone Pam hit. Simelum said he is too old to repair his kitchen now, and will leave that work to his children. However, he said he expects to see more weather extremes.
“Climate change will cause more disasters to Vanuatu,” he said.
The removal of basic Maori phrases — kia ora, meaning “hello” and Aotearoa, the Maori name for New Zealand — from a lunar new year invitation to an Australian official was not a snub of the indigenous language by New Zealand’s government, New Zealand Prime Minister Christopher Luxon said on Wednesday, seemingly joking that it instead reflected the “incredibly simple” language required when speaking to Australians. Luxon defended in parliament a lawmaker who ordered the removal of the Maori words from an invitation sent to Australian Minister for the Arts Tony Burke. He appeared to indulge in a favorite pastime of New
The US on Monday confirmed that it would resume sales of offensive weapons to Saudi Arabia, as concerns over human rights in the kingdom’s Yemen war give way to US hopes for it to play a role in resolving the conflict in Gaza. More than three years after imposing limits on human rights grounds over Saudi Arabian strikes in Yemen, the US Department of State said that it would return to weapons sales “in regular order, with appropriate congressional notification and consultation.” “Saudi Arabia has remained a close strategic partner of the United States, and we look forward to enhancing that partnership,”
MINOR TSUNAMI: An official described the surface of the sea ‘wavering’ during the shaking, but tsunamis of only 50cm, 20cm and 10cm were confirmed to have hit A powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.1 shook southern Japan yesterday, but no major damage was reported and only relatively minor tsunami arrived at the coast. The quake hit at 4:42pm off Kyushu at a depth of 25km, the US Geological Survey said. Broadcaster NHK showed footage of traffic lights shaking violently in Miyazaki on Kyushu. “The surface of the sea is wavering. I felt an intense jolt when the quake happened which lasted for between 30 seconds and a minute,” a local official told NHK. The broadcaster also reported that three people were hurt in Miyazaki, but gave no indication of the
Russia yesterday ordered more evacuations in a region bordering Ukraine as it battled to contain an unprecedented push onto its territory by Kyiv’s forces. Ukraine last week sent troops into Russia’s border region of Kursk, in the largest cross-border operation by Kyiv since Moscow launched its offensive more than two years ago. The assault, which has sent tens of thousands of people fleeing, marked the most significant attack by a foreign army on Russian territory since World War II. A top Ukrainian official said that the operation was aimed at stretching Moscow troops and destabilizing the nation after months of slow Russian advances