Clashes between rival Libyan militias fighting for control of the international airport in the capital, Tripoli, have killed 47 people over the past 24 hours, Libya’s Health Ministry said.
The ministry said on its Web site late on Sunday that the fighting also left 120 people wounded. It also said it had not yet received the full casualty report.
The week-long battle over the airport is being waged by a powerful militia from the western city of Zintan, which controls the facility, and Islamist-led militias, including fighters from Misrata, east of Tripoli.
The clashes resumed on Sunday after ceasefire efforts failed.
Television footage broadcast on Sunday showed a mortar shell striking a Libyan Arab Airlines plane and a column of black smoke billowing from inside the airport, which has been closed since Monday last week.
Libya is witnessing one of its worst spasms of violence since the ouster of former leader Muammar Qaddafi. in 2011.
The rival militias, made up largely of former rebels, have forced a week-long closure of gas stations and government offices.
Libyan government officials and activists have increasingly been targeted in the violence. Unknown gunmen kidnapped two lawmakers in the western suburbs of Tripoli on Sunday, a parliament statement said, and urged the government to intervene to free them.
In the past two days in Benghazi, Libya’s second-largest city, gunmen killed an army officer while he was driving home in his car and a former special forces officer was shot dead in the downtown Salmani district.
Meanwhile, suspected militiamen have beheaded a Philippine worker after singling him out because he was not a Muslim, the Philippine Foreign Department said in Manila yesterday.
Department spokesman Charles Jose said this reinforced the government’s order to all Filipinos to evacuate the country because of the worsening security situation.
He told reporters the Filipino construction worker was kidnapped on Tuesday last week and his beheaded remains were found in a hospital on Sunday.
“The vehicle he was riding in was stopped in a checkpoint. There were three of them — a Libyan, a Pakistani and a Filipino — and he was allegedly singled out because he was non-Muslim,” Jose said.
The kidnappers had initially negotiated with the man’s company for a US$160,000 ransom, but eventually “they received a call from the abductors on July 20 [that] referred them to a Benghazi hospital,” Jose said.
The beheaded body was found in the hospital in an advanced state of decomposition, indicating he may have been dead even while the negotiations were going on, Jose added.
He indicated that the killing prompted the Philippines on Sunday to order its estimated 13,000 nationals in Libya to leave.
“The threats to our Filipinos’ safety and security became more imminent. We would like to get them out of harm’s way because of this incident,” Jose added.
So far 207 people have registered for evacuation and will be flown back to Manila as soon as the Philippine embassy there completes their travel requirements, he said.
Additional reporting by AFP
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver