A reluctant Ukrainian government agreed to launch discussions yesterday on giving more powers to the regions under a peace plan brokered by the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), but it remains wary of engaging with pro-Russian insurgents who have declared independence in two eastern regions.
Acting Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk was to chair the first in a series of round tables set to include national lawmakers, government figures and regional officials in line with proposals drafted by the OSCE, a top trans-Atlantic security and rights group that includes Russia and the US.
Russia has strongly backed the Swiss-drafted road map, but Ukraine has remained cool to the plan and US officials view its prospects for success skeptically.
Ukraine and the West have accused Moscow of fomenting the unrest in eastern Ukraine, where pro-Russian insurgents seized administrative buildings, fought government forces and declared independence for the Donetsk and Luhansk regions after a controversial weekend referendum.
The Ukrainian government and Western powers have rejected the referendum as a sham.
Speaking in Brussels on Tuesday, Yatsenyuk thanked the OSCE for its plan, but said Ukraine has its own plan for ending the crisis and said the people of his country should settle the issue themselves.
Ukrainian forces have mounted an offensive against the armed insurgents, and dozens have died in the fighting across the east.
On Tuesday, the Ukrainian Ministry of Defense said six soldiers were killed by insurgents who ambushed a convoy near the city of Kramatorsk in the Donetsk region.
Yesterday morning, journalists saw charred carcasses of a Ukrainian armored personnel carrier and a truck at the site of the clash.
The OSCE plan calls on all sides to refrain from violence and urges amnesty for those involved in the unrest, as well as talks on decentralization and the status of the Russian language. It envisages a quick launch of high-level round tables across the country bringing together national lawmakers and representatives of the central government and the regions.
The first round table set to be held in Kiev will include Ukraine’s former presidents, officials and lawmakers, but there has been no word about inviting rebels as the government has staunchly refused to talk to “separatists.”
Ukrainian Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Yevhen Perebiynis lamented that the OSCE deal does not specifically oblige Russia to do anything, saying that Moscow must be urged to stop sponsoring terrorists to de-escalate the conflict.
Russia has dismissed the accusations and assailed the Ukrainian authorities for their reluctance to hold talks with its opponents in the east before the May 25 presidential vote.
In Moscow, Sergei Naryshkin, the speaker of the lower house of Russian parliament, said that the Ukrainian authorities’ refusal to speak to its foes and the continuing military operation in the east will undermine the legitimacy of the presidential vote, but added that the failure to hold it would be even worse.
Moscow had previously called for postponing the presidential vote, saying it must be preceded by a constitutional reform that would turn Ukraine into a federation, but it has recently taken a more conciliatory stance, reflecting an apparent desire to ease the worst crisis.
However, the insurgents in Luhansk have already said they would not hold the balloting, and the leader of pro-Russian activists in Donetsk, Denis Pushilin, said they will use unspecified “means and methods” to prevent the vote from happening.
EVOLVING SITUATION: Of the latest cases, 23 percent were found to be asymptomatic, but the coronavirus strain in Da Nang is more contagious, authorities said A COVID-19 outbreak that began in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang more than a week ago has spread to at least four city factories with a combined workforce of about 3,700, state media reported yesterday. Four cases were found at the plants in different industrial parks in the central city that collectively employ 77,000 people, the Lao Dong newspaper said. Vietnam, praised widely for its decisive measures to combat the novel coronavirus since it first appeared in late January, is battling new clusters of infection having gone for more than three months without detecting any domestic transmissions. Authorities yesterday reported one new
‘COVIDIOTS’: Politicians condemned the protest that came amid surging infections in the country, while a marcher said government-induced fear weakened the body Loudly chanting their opposition to masks and vaccines, thousands of people on Saturday gathered in Berlin to protest against COVID-19 restrictions before being dispersed by police. Police put turnout at about 20,000 — well below the 500,000 organizers had announced as they urged a “day of freedom” from months of virus curbs. Despite Germany’s comparatively low toll, authorities are concerned at a rise in infections over the past few weeks and politicians took to social media to criticize the rally as irresponsible. “We are the second wave,” shouted the crowd, a mixture of hard left and right and conspiracy theorists, as they converged
The Australian government yesterday said that it plans to give Google and Facebook three months to negotiate with media businesses fair pay for news content. In releasing a draft of a mandatory code of conduct, Canberra aims to succeed where other nations have failed in making tech firms pay for news siphoned from commercial media companies. Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said that Google and Facebook would be the first platforms targeted by the proposed legislation, but others could follow. “It’s about a fair go for Australian news media businesses, it’s about ensuring that we have increased competition, increased consumer protection and a sustainable
SURGE CONTINUES: India recorded its steepest spike of more than 57,000 new virus cases in 24 hours, as Vietnam went from no virus deaths to reporting three South Korean prosecutors yesterday arrested the elderly leader of a secretive religious sect as part of an investigation into allegations that the church hampered the government’s COVID-19 response after thousands of worshipers were infected in February and March. Prosecutors in the central city of Suwon have been questioning 88-year-old Lee Man-hee, chairman of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, over charges that the church hid some members and underreported gatherings to avoid broader quarantines. The Suwon District Court granted prosecutors’ request to arrest Lee over concerns that he could temper with evidence. Lee and his church have steadfastly denied the accusations, saying they are