Seventeen bodies had been recovered and 206 people rescued by patrol boats and merchant ships from a migrant shipwreck in international waters between Libya and Italy, the Italian Navy said yesterday.
“There were 207 survivors rescued yesterday... Seventeen bodies have been recovered so far,” the navy said in a statement, increasing a previous toll of 14 victims following the incident on Monday.
Italian media cited coast guards saying there were about 400 people on board, which would mean dozens are still unaccounted for.
Photo: AFP
The navy said two warships, three coast guard and border patrol boats had taken part in the rescue operation, along with two merchant ships.
“They reached the capsized ship as quickly as possible,” the navy said, adding that two helicopters and two planes had also taken part in the rescue.
The navy said one of its warships, the Grecale frigate, was headed for the port of Catania in Sicily with the survivors and the bodies of the victims on board.
Prosecutors in Catania said they would be opening an investigation into the causes of the shipwreck.
The navy said the other warship, the Sirio, had gone on to rescue 295 migrants from another stricken boat.
Medical personnel from the Order of Malta humanitarian group who assisted the survivors said there were many women and children from sub-Saharan Africa among them.
Libya has long been a springboard for Africans seeking a better life in Europe and the number of illegal departures from its shores is rising due to clement weather conditions and growing lawlessness.
Monday’s shipwreck happened at about 11am about 100 nautical miles (185km) south of Lampedusa Island, Italy’s southernmost point.
“Our ships are there recovering the dead and saving the living. Europe is not helping us,” Italian Minister of the Interior Angelino Alfano said, adding: “The Mediterranean is not an Italian border, but a European border.”
EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Catherine Ashton voiced her regret at the migrants’ deaths and called on the Libyan authorities “to intensify their efforts to prevent more tragedies in the future.”
European leaders expressed outrage and called for action, in a repeat of the response to the drowning of more than 400 migrants off Italy in October last year.
European Parliament president Martin Schulz said in a tweet that he was “shocked” by the tragedy, adding: “EU must take responsibility to protect people and values.”
Libya said it was not involved in the rescue, with Libyan naval spokesman Colonel Ayub Kassem saying the country “does not have the means to help with this shipwreck.”
The Libyan Navy also said it had intercepted and rescued 340 migrants off the western town of Sabratha when their boat began to take on water. And on Sunday, the navy said that 36 migrants had perished, 42 were missing and 52 were rescued following another shipwreck closer to its coast.
Italy said last month that more than 20,000 migrants had arrived on its shores this year.
Libya’s interim interior minister on Saturday warned that Tripoli could “facilitate” the movement of migrants toward Europe unless the bloc helped it combat the problem.
He said Libya was “suffering” because thousands of mainly sub-Saharan Africans were spreading disease, crime and drugs in the North African nation.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver