A desperate, drug-addicted insomniac racked with anxiety about his upcoming concert series: That is how a defense lawyer portrayed Michael Jackson in his last days during opening statements on Tuesday in the involuntary manslaughter trial of the singer’s personal doctor.
Ed Chernoff, the defense lawyer, suggested that Jackson was most responsible for his own death and had, against his doctor’s orders, ingested or injected himself with the prescription drugs that killed him.
“When Dr [Conrad] Murray left the room, Michael Jackson self-administered a dose” of anesthetic, Chernoff said, and that dose, combined with other drugs he had taken, “created a perfect storm in his body that killed him instantly.”
However, prosecutors said that it was the doctor’s negligence, in plying Jackson with large amounts of a powerful anesthetic, that had proved fatal.
The trial, expected to last about five weeks, will hinge on these competing versions of what -happened in the hours just before and after Jackson’s death on June 25, 2009.
The singer had been rehearsing in Los Angeles for “This Is It,” a series of 50 sold-out concerts in London intended to relieve some of his crushing debt. Murray, a Houston cardiologist, had been paid US$150,000 a month to stay with Jackson at least six nights a week and help him get to sleep.
Prosecutors accused Murray of failing to safeguard Jackson in a variety of ways — by administering a powerful anesthetic, -propofol, usually used only at hospitals, and not using proper monitoring equipment, and then “abandoning” Jackson while the doctor used the bathroom, made phone calls and sent e-mail when he should have been keeping a watch over his patient.
In addition, David Walgren, the deputy prosecutor, said Murray failed to call 911 immediately after he found Jackson lifeless in the bed, hid evidence and lied to paramedics and doctors trying to revive the singer about what drugs Jackson had been given.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver