A bone wrapped with rope and skull fragments scattered over a cactus-covered desert field are grim testament to a 1996 massacre of more than 1,200 prisoners by former Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi’s regime.
Libyan officials announced on Sunday they found the site of a mass grave believed to hold the remains of the victims after capturing former security guards who revealed its location as well as receiving witness accounts.
Excavation has not begun in the field outside the white walls of the notorious Abu Salim prison, although several bone fragments and pieces of clothing already have been found in the topsoil. Soldiers and relatives sifted through the sand during a visit on Sunday, displaying a pair of pants and other remains for reporters brought to the site.
Photo: AFP
A military spokesman and members of a committee tasked with finding mass graves said they were confident the field holds the remains of the prison massacre victims based on information from former regime officials who have been captured in the fight against the former dictator.
“We have discovered the truth about what the Libyan people have been waiting for many years and it is the bodies and remains of the Abu Salim massacre,” a military spokesman for Tripoli, Khalid al-Sherif, said at a news conference.
The find has enormous symbolic importance for Libyans who are seeking justice for more than four decades of repression and alleged crimes at the hands of the regime.
It was a demonstration in the eastern city of Benghazi demanding the release of a prominent lawyer representing the families of slain inmates that sparked the revolution in mid-February. Inspired by the wave of uprisings sweeping the Arab world, unrest spread and Qaddafi was forced into hiding after revolutionary forces swept into Tripoli late last month.
The June 26, 1996, killings became a focal point for opposition to Qaddafi who waged fierce crackdowns against any sign of dissent. Most of the inmates were political prisoners, including Islamic clerics and students who had dared to speak against Qaddafi.
Ibrahim Abu Shim, a member of the committee looking for mass graves, said investigators believe 1,270 people were buried in the field, but the Libyans needed help from the international community to find and identify the remains because they lacked sophisticated equipment needed for DNA testing.
Sami al-Saadi, who said he lost two brothers in the massacre, said it was important to bring closure for relatives after years of not knowing where their loved ones were buried.
He said he had rejoiced when revolutionary forces succeeded in ousting Qaddafi, but the memory of his brothers Mohammed and Adel cast a shadow over the celebrations.
“The people who are responsible of this massacre should be brought before a judge and we can give now sure evidence to all the world about Muammar Qaddafi and how this dictator led this country and its people,” he said as he stood in the field with the barbed wire-lined walls towering behind him.
He said he was out of the country in 1996, but later spent several years imprisoned himself.
Abu Salim — where for decades Qaddafi had locked up and tortured opponents or made them disappear — sits empty now after the prisoners were freed as an invading rebel force was sweeping Qaddafi’s regime from the capital.
Al-Saadi and other former inmates said they faced torture and inhumane living conditions. Al-Saadi said he was refused medical treatment for a heart condition during his detention.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver