Fighters for Libya’s interim rulers entered former leader Muammar Qaddafi’s hometown Sirte on Saturday in a surprise assault that NATO said it backed to halt brutal acts by followers of the ousted regime.
National Transitional Council (NTC) chief Mustafa Abdel Jalil said an interim government would be announced this week and that the new authorities had control over Qaddafi’s internationally “banned weapons.”
Misrata military council spokesman Abdel Ibrahim said seven NTC fighters were killed and 145 injured in what appeared to have been a pincer movement launched from the south and east.
Using tanks and pick-up trucks mounted with anti-aircraft guns, the NTC forces cleared away roadblocks set up by Qaddafi forces and drove toward the city center before putting up their own defenses in advanced positions.
On a beach road surrounded by craters and pockmarked buildings, a 106mm anti-tank cannon repeatedly pounded Qaddafi positions, backed by a barrage of mortars and multiple rocket-launchers.
“We are pushing them back” after a “surprise” order to attack issued by the NTC’s military top brass, commander Mohammed al-Aswawi said in a radio truck monitoring units on the front.
“First we get the families out, and then the order is to attack and free Sirte,” he said.
“There is also an advance from the south,” he added, as the Misrata Military Council said that front was being reinforced by NTC fighters who had taken part in “the liberation of al-Jafra.”
Frontline fighters in Sirte are convinced that one of Qaddafi’s sons, Mutassim, is holed up in the city’s southern outskirts.
“Mutassim is in there. We hear him on the radio giving orders,” NTC operations commander Osama Muttawa Swehly said on Saturday.
As the battle raged into the evening, another commander, Hassan Tarhar Zaluk, said NTC forces would have to resume the fight for Sirte yesterday.
“We’re going to stop for the evening. There’s no light in there. We’ll start again tomorrow [yesterday],” he said.
NTC fighters also came under heavy fire as they advanced inside Sirte’s eastern gates, it was reported.
“Our troops went 7km inside through the eastern gate and there were sporadic to sometimes heavy clashes with Qaddafi’s forces,” said commander Mohammed al-Marimi of the Fakriddin Sallabi Brigade.
The assault was launched after reports of a rapidly deteriorating humanitarian situation in the city of about 75,000 inhabitants.
NATO forces struck at Qaddafi forces after reports they had moved against civilians there, endangering “hundreds of families,” a statement from the alliance said.
“Among the reports emerging from Sirte are executions, hostage-taking and the calculated targeting of individuals, families and communities within the city,” it added.
Heavy fighting also raged in Bani Walid, the only other remaining pro-Qaddafi bastion. Medics reported a total of 30 NTC troops killed so far on that front.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver