A US soldier among five charged in the thrill-killings of Afghan civilians last year pleaded guilty to a murder charge on Thursday, confessing in court that he fired a heavy machine gun at a startled, unarmed man from 5m away after a co-defendant tossed a grenade at him.
“I knew I should have taken cover, but instead I pulled the trigger,” Private First Class Andrew Holmes, of Boise, Idaho, told the judge.
The soldiers from Joint Base Lewis-McChord south of Seattle were arrested in Afghanistan last year, after prosecutors said they killed three civilians for sport during patrols.
Holmes, 21, was accused of directly participating in the first killing, and he was initially charged with conspiracy, premeditated murder and other charges. In a deal with prosecutors, he pleaded guilty to murder by an inherently dangerous act, possessing a finger bone from his victim and smoking hashish.
Holmes told the judge, Lieutenant Colonel Kwasi Hawks, that one of the ringleaders of the plot, then-corporal Jeremy Morlock, had frequently talked about killing civilians and suggested ways to do it.
As they left on patrol on Jan. 15 last year, Morlock told Holmes to grab an illicitly obtained grenade out of his tent because “something might happen” — and Holmes complied: “I didn’t know what was going to happen, but I had a terrible feeling that corporal Morlock was up to no good.”
Later, as they patrolled a village in Kandahar Province, Morlock stood by a low wall along a field and called for Holmes. It was a cold day, Holmes said, and he was sweating and out of breath when he took a knee beside Morlock.
He said he saw Morlock fiddling with something out of the corner of his eye — “I suspected it was the grenade, but I was hoping it was his radio,” he said.
The grenade it was. Morlock tossed it at a young man standing near the other side of the wall — even though the man was obviously unarmed and posed no threat, Holmes said. Then, he ordered Holmes to shoot.
“I looked at the young man. He was standing there like a deer in the headlights,” Holmes told the judge in a clear, steady voice. “I fired six to eight rounds at the man, and I’ve regretted it ever since.”
Holmes and Morlock then posed for a photographs holding up the head of the victim. Holmes’ lawyer, Dan Conway, has insisted he was ordered to pose.
Holmes was expected to be sentenced yesterday. No sentencing recommendations by prosecutors or the defense under the terms of the plea deal were immediately disclosed. Under military law, a person can be convicted of murder even if the act is not premeditated — if, for example, the actions of the defendant were taken in disregard of human life.
The charges against the five soldiers from what was formerly known as the Fifth Stryker Brigade — since renamed the Second Stryker Brigade — are among the most serious war crimes charges to emerge from the Afghan war.
Prosecutors say that in addition to killing three men, some of the defendants kept body parts severed from the corpses as well as photographs kept as war trophies. Drug use was rampant in the unit, and one soldier who blew the whistle on hash-smoking by his comrades was beaten up and threatened.
Morlock has admitted taking part in the three killings and agreed to testify against his co-defendants in exchange for a 24-year sentence. Staff Sergeant Calvin Gibbs is the highest-ranking soldier charged in the killings, and Morlock and others said he was the mastermind. Gibbs denies wrongdoing.
Specialist Adam Winfield told his parents about the plot in Facebook messages after the first killing, and his father immediately reported it to Lewis-McChord. However, the alert was not reported up the chain of command, and the plot did not come to light until months later, when two more had been killed.
Winfield admitted participating in the last killing, saying he thought Gibbs might kill him if he did not, and he pleaded guilty this summer to involuntary manslaughter and was sentenced to three years.
Conway said it was tough for Holmes to plead guilty to murder, but prosecutors would not agree to the lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter. He blamed Holmes’ troubles on being assigned to a unit with Morlock.
“Andy Holmes joined the army as a healthy, good-natured, 18-year-old kid who liked to play golf and go fishing,” Conway said after court on Thursday. “He may be leaving the army as a felon.”
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver