Cuban authorities are accusing the US of waging “cyberwar” against the communist-ruled island — an effort that Havana claims includes an American contractor on trial for espionage.
In recent weeks, state media has shown comments from Cubans contacted by alleged US agents who, according to reports in Cuba, were seeking to set up communications networks to promote subversive activities.
The reports came as a verdict was awaited in the trial for US national Alan Gross, 61, accused of crimes against the Cuban state.
Cuban media last month began airing a report, presented as a “leak” from the interior ministry, where a computer security expert described US efforts to subvert the Havana regime.
The expert identified Gross as part of an effort to create a technological platform that could be used to establish “a network of virtual mercenaries” who could use the Internet to attack the government.
Cuban authorities say the efforts by Gross — who according to US officials was providing computers and cell phones to Cuba’s Jewish community to help it communicate with the outside world — was part of a new strategy by Washington to foment subversion.
On Monday, state-run television showed a report from a so-called “agent Raul,” whose real name is Dalexi Gonzalez, who said he was contacted in March 2008 by US agents seeking to set up a satellite communications network accessible to Cubans.
Gonzalez said he was contacted by Robert Guerra of Freedom House, a US pro-democracy group that Havana claims is linked to the CIA and the State Department’s Agency for International Development.
Daniel Calingaert, who oversees Freedom House’s civil society and media programs, said Guerra “did in fact travel to Cuba as part of a Freedom House program,” but was an outside expert for the organization at the time.
Calingaert said the program’s goal is “to help Cubans get access to the Internet and generally promote the free flow of information.”
“Obviously in any other context this would be perfectly normal, but Cubans get into trouble for doing this kind of thing,” he said, without addressing the allegations of links to the US government.
Cuban media have also showed other reports suggesting Washington is financing Cuban dissident groups.
US officials have called for the release of Gross and said the case has hurt efforts to normalize relations between Washington and Havana.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver